Logosol or Norwood band mill

hawk eye

I'm looking for a band mill for personal use and semi commercial. I currently use an old norwood 2000 super band mill (bed is now knackered and on its last legs). I'm looking to get hydraulics lifters, turner's etc on a new mill. 

The larger norwood hd36 and logosol 1001 look good, question is which is the one get, or is there a better alternative. Woodland Mills look to flimsy and the woodmisers to expensive. Budget £10-15,000. 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

We’ve just bought a second hand Roltrac which I assume is similar to the trak-met’s. Never seen a trak-met in the flesh but the roltrac certainly seems we’ll made, all seimens motors, our has planking computer so cut thicknesses can be programmed in etc. 

I contacted them direct in Poland and they would ship one over direct, prices were similar to the trak-met if not slightly cheaper but not sure what lead time was as we found ours second hand about 30 miles away so it was a no brainer. There’s an identical machine to ours on eBay at the moment in Goole I think it’s of interest. 

I'm looking for a band mill for personal use and semi commercial. I currently use an old norwood 2000 super band mill (bed is now knackered and on its last legs). I'm looking to get hydraulics lifters, turner's etc on a new mill. 

The larger norwood hd36 and logosol 1001 look good, question is which is the one get, or is there a better alternative. Woodland Mills look to flimsy and the woodmisers to expensive. Budget £10-15,000. 

Any suggestions? 
Thanks 
I looked at the Hg36 and with all the hydraulic accessories its at the top end of your budget.
Sure it was about £17000 plus

• 3 years later...
On 02/06/2019 at 08:04, hawk eye said:

Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

What did you go for in the end?

Im looking to move up to the Logosol B1001 with the 1300kg Trailer with the intention of further upgrading to full hydraulics when finances allow. Having spoken with the Scottish Logosol Dealer he mentioned they have a very low hours fully Hydraulic HD36 but its missing the Log Lifter and Trailer. Its for sale at the same price as a new barebones B1001.

Having done some research on the HD36 is seems to be built to an inferior quality and everting looks that much more flimsy. The Log Loader for example is £1500 compared to the Logosols offering at £3000. The Norwoods Log Loader seems to buckle and twist with an average sized log and can only handle 1 ton compared to the Logosols two tons. 

The Norwood has those crappy ceramic blade guide and Ive read nothing good about them and many seem to have swapped them out with Rollers like the Wood-Mizer and Logosol Bandsaws have as standard. Its a hassle Id rather not get into to be honest. 

My Logosol B751 has been kept outside in the full Scottish Weather for three years now and you'd hardly know it. I hammer it and have only had to change the Drive Belt and the bearings the Saw Head rolls on. Ive not had to adjust a single thing since new. 

Any feed back would be appreciated. I'll pop up and have a play on the HD36 and see what the Hydraulics is like in person but I think Id need some serious convincing to go for it. 

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Im looking to move up to the Logosol B1001 with the 1300kg Trailer with the intention of further upgrading to full hydraulics when finances allow. Having spoken with the Scottish Logosol Dealer he mentioned they have a very low hours fully Hydraulic HD36 but its missing the Log Lifter and Trailer. Its for sale at the same price as a new barebones B1001.

Having done some research on the HD36 is seems to be built to an inferior quality and everting looks that much more flimsy. The Log Loader for example is £1500 compared to the Logosols offering at £3000. The Norwoods Log Loader seems to buckle and twist with an average sized log and can only handle 1 ton compared to the Logosols two tons. 

The Norwood has those crappy ceramic blade guide and Ive read nothing good about them and many seem to have swapped them out with Rollers like the Wood-Mizer and Logosol Bandsaws have as standard. Its a hassle Id rather not get into to be honest. 

My Logosol B751 has been kept outside in the full Scottish Weather for three years now and you'd hardly know it. I hammer it and have only had to change the Drive Belt and the bearings the Saw Head rolls on. Ive not had to adjust a single thing since new. 

Any feed back would be appreciated. I'll pop up and have a play on the HD36 and see what the Hydraulics is like in person but I think Id need some serious convincing to go for it. 

Answered your own question really trig.

14 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I bought the Norwood HD36 new in about 2016.  With hindsight I should have saved up just a bit more for a manual Woodmizer (which is what I have now).  The Norwood is so badly designed and built it is amazing it is still being sold.  Also as you say the ceramic guide rollers were dreadful.  

Parts were incredibly expensive, so I would always try and source them other than from the agent.  The ceramic guide rollers were about £600 just for one set for example, which you might knacker in a week.

And don’t get me started on the assembly - 170 pages of instructions if I remember rightly - and not all of that was accurate.

Woodmizer on the other hand was nearly fully assembled, and the quality is far superior.  Parts are also very reasonable - little point in shopping around as they are already not bad.  So far (one year on) no complaints about the Woodmizer - oh except the little spring which enables the setworks computer to detect up and down movement of the saw head.  But so far the dealer has sent me new ones very quickly under warranty and been very helpful about suggesting ways to try and stop the part failing.

Chalk and cheese as far as I am concerned.  And yet the difference in price was only about ten percent.  £7150 vs £8000 or thereabouts.   I then later added the setworks computer and debarker to the Woodmizer.  Actually I am not comparing like with like as the Norwood was Petrol powered but the Woodmizer is electric.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1