VAT reg'd or Ltd Co?

igottacabstar

Is your business VAT reg'd or a Ltd Co?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Is your business VAT reg'd or a Ltd Co?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the point of vat registration.

Corect me if I'm wrong, but you will always owe more vat than you will be owed?

Therefore, you are just a tax collector for the revenue.

Why have the extra headache.

You turn over 70K + vat.

You have purchases of 35k + vat

You pay the tax man 12.2K

He gives you back 6.1k

You are no better off

I don't see the point of vat registration.

Corect me if I'm wrong, but you will always owe more vat than you will be owed?

Therefore, you are just a tax collector for the revenue.

Why have the extra headache.

You turn over 70K + vat.

You have purchases of 35k + vat

You pay the tax man 12.2K

He gives you back 6.1k

You are no better off

Depends on who you work for,if you work for councils ect, they get the VAT back so makes no difference to them.

When i bought my mog there was £8k VAT:scared:

Most of my competitors are VAT registered so makes no odds even on private work.

I suppose there pro's & cons for both but at the mo i'm managing to stay under the threshold but again i'm only in my second year of trading.Most of my work is domestic with a couple comercial ones & certainly the domestic ones are happy when i tell them theres no VAT to add. I'll just have to cross that bridge when it comes. Am i right in thinking that once you become VAT reg you can claim 3 years back Vat?

Depends on who you work for,if you work for councils ect, they get the VAT back so makes no difference to them.

When i bought my mog there was £8k VAT:scared:

Most of my competitors are VAT registered so makes no odds even on private work.

I thought maybe I should when I bought the picker and my new chipper, but they are long term investments and while the lump sum maybe good at the time it soon levels back off again.

I do 95% domestic and I get say 7 out of ten jobs I price, I reckon I would take a huge drop in the jobs I got if I stuck VAT ontop.

Even if you went down to 5 out of ten jobs that, on my turnover would equate to a £20,000 drop in turnover per year, not worth the hassle.

One thing I will say though and I have always thought this.

The VAT system is an unfair system, why should some be able to claim vat and other not?

Yes you can register but that puts others at an advantage over you for pricing in certain circumstances.

What should happen, is everyone should be forced to be vat registered. That way the playing field is level.

One thing I will say though and I have always thought this.

The VAT system is an unfair system, why should some be able to claim vat and other not?

Yes you can register but that puts others at an advantage over you for pricing in certain circumstances.

What should happen, is everyone should be forced to be vat registered. That way the playing field is level.

HMRCs reasoning for this is they say that a company turning over a larger amount of money (I think £64k at the moment) should be able to swallow the extra costs involved in being VAT registered. A load of rubbish I know.....