Broken valve removal??

mikerecike

Briggs & Stratton Generator - exhaust valve stem broken. It's an oldy 1975. Never seen a set of valves with different springs & keepers for intake & exhaust - no idea how to remove this fat looking disc - I have the Briggs valve spring tool - not sure what the action should be to remove this valve? Any tips? Every time I get this tool out feels like I'm starting from scratch - Barrie made a vid years ago for me but can't seem to jiggle this one free. Thanks folks. Gonna have to replace the valve too. Engine is 10 cubic inches - not sure what this is in HP? 5HP?

valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

valve3.jpg

valve4.jpg

49 minutes ago, mikerecike said:

Briggs & Stratton Generator - exhaust valve stem broken. It's an oldy 1975. Never seen a set of valves with different springs & keepers for intake & exhaust - no idea how to remove this fat looking disc - I have the Briggs valve spring tool - not sure what the action should be to remove this valve? Any tips? Every time I get this tool out feels like I'm starting from scratch - Barrie made a vid years ago for me but can't seem to jiggle this one free. Thanks folks. Gonna have to replace the valve too. Engine is 10 cubic inches - not sure what this is in HP? 5HP?

valve1.jpg

valve2.jpg

valve3.jpg

valve4.jpg

Barry  @GardenKit doesn't post here much. I assume the valves just have keyhole keepers rather then collets??  Can you compress the spring without compressing the washers, so they dangle loose and you can jiggle then off?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Barry  @GardenKit doesn't post here much. I assume the valves just have keyhole keepers rather then collets??  Can you compress the spring without compressing the washers, so they dangle loose and you can jiggle then off?

Cheers for that - yep from what I can see it's a keyhole keeper - I'll give your suggestion a go - never sure whether the tool should be compressing the keeper or not - tricky bit is going to be the jiggling because there's no valve head to fiddle with. Other tricky bit will be to find a replacement valve. Thanks.

Hi Mike, gee,that's an old engine, don't see many like that these days!

Openspaceman is right, you need to compress only the spring, possibly with one half of the compressor outside of the engine (over the top of the valve box,) and the lower half squeezed in above the washer, if that makes sence.

It looks to me like the 'washer' is actually a 'rotator' and may be held in with split colletts. Once the spring is compressed gently tap the rotator upwards and the split colletts should drop out. (the rotator, if it is one, turns the exhaust valve a little on each lift, wiping away deposits that otherwise lodge in the seat)

As for getting a new valve, you will need to find the model, type, and code. They were usually stamped on the engine cowl, although I seem to remember that back in the old days they were stamped on the side of the block. Can't do anything without those numbers.

• Like 2

Mike, I am not too sure that 494191 is correct, as its not listed to fit that engine. Also, the Briggs dealer portal does not recognise 100232 0514-01, as a model and code. ( its the 01 bit that is not recognised, although there is a 99)

The rotators were not standard on all engines and could be fitted in lieu of standard.

Be worth a bit more checking before ordering.

OUT!

Thank you Barrie & Openspaceman - can't remember what combo of on top / under / spring keeper worked - I tried everything. What I couldn't do was anchor above the valve cover case - a cooling fin was in the way - decided not to risk pressing down on that.

It looks like the ancient valve / keeper system with a pin - really hope it's poss to upgrade & avoid the pin  - ideally match the intake hole/keyhole keeper.

Yes Barrie I think I fudged my research & went for the 99 although mine is definitely 0514-01 - the hunt is on ...

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

• Like 2

I could be wrong, but it looks like 494191 is correct  after all.( a supersession of 260860 Cobalite exhaust valve.) This uses the 292259 rotator (disc), 230127 sleeve retainer and 230126 pin.

My Briggs suppliers show no stock, but have the valve priced up at £57 plus vat. I do not know availability though.

2 hours ago, GardenKit said:

I could be wrong, but it looks like 494191 is correct  after all.( a supersession of 260860 Cobalite exhaust valve.) This uses the 292259 rotator (disc), 230127 sleeve retainer and 230126 pin.

My Briggs suppliers show no stock, but have the valve priced up at £57 plus vat. I do not know availability though.

Thanks very much Barrie for all that info - 57 is more than I want to put into this - I think I'll look around for something second hand - I have some Classic engine parts - guessing they'd probably be too small?