13 stitches and out of work for a few weeks. Thanks silky!

Gardenscape

I took them out myself. The radial nerve is beneath the muscle, so I'm hoping I didn't cause to much damage. I train in gym anyway, so I will add in some wrist and hand exercises daily and update you in weeks to come. Glad you got most of your feeling back. It really isn't a nice sensation to have. Thanks for your help ?

13 hours ago, woody paul said:

You said you took stitches out or did hospital, Physio will help now not in a couple of months.

Last year I cut thought tendon in my thump but just missed nerve put me out of action of 12 weeks  Physio was small movement to start them more intents and have got 95% movement back in it and still gives me pain some days and have been told after another 6 month if i still get pain i will have that for rest of live.     

I'm not convinced the Physio does much, maybe its needed if your just keeping your hand immobile, to stop it seizing up?

I cut two tendons to my thumb, was told 6 weeks not using it at all, the 6 weeks of very, very light duties. I managed a fortnight, then went back to work climbing, etc. I kept my hospital appointments, putting the splint on only when going to hospital. I thought at first I had snapped the repair, as I could no longer pull my thumb right back, but I think I just stretched it.

4 months on and I have regained full use of my thumb and the feeling is slowly coming back to the back of my thumb.

The consultant was pretty funny when I went for my last visit, he said "Ah yes the guy who cut two tendons and then went straight back to work" but he was very happy with my recovery, called it a success and discharged me.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I avoided muscle loss from not climbing for 12 weeks and a huge financial hit.

They used to prescribe bed rest for bad backs, but these day they advocate keeping mobile.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I'm not convinced the Physio does much, maybe its needed if your just keeping your hand immobile, to stop it seizing up?

I cut two tendons to my thumb, was told 6 weeks not using it at all, the 6 weeks of very, very light duties. I managed a fortnight, then went back to work climbing, etc. I kept my hospital appointments, putting the splint on only when going to hospital. I thought at first I had snapped the repair, as I could no longer pull my thumb right back, but I think I just stretched it.

4 months on and I have regained full use of my thumb and the feeling is slowly coming back to the back of my thumb.

The consultant was pretty funny when I went for my last visit, he said "Ah yes the guy who cut two tendons and then went straight back to work" but he was very happy with my recovery, called it a success and discharged me.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I avoided muscle loss from not climbing for 12 weeks and a huge financial hit.

They used to prescribe bed rest for bad backs, but these day they advocate keeping mobile.

Dave . Can you play the piano now ? ?

On 06/06/2019 at 19:51, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Good choice...Myerscough for me, I didn't travel well back then :) 

Yes, 25 handsaw to 1 chainsaw, or probably even higher...this is a guesstimate based on anecdotal evidence. I'm sure most would agree, "there or thereabouts".

Going forward I wonder how many chainsaw cuts will be incurred through battery saws as opposed to petrol chainsaws...both very capable of cutting / injuring, and perhaps there'll be no difference, but my inclin is battery saws will be less, or less significant cuts / injuries maybe.

I wonder if there will be more injuries through one handing or using battery saws for cuts that are a bit beyond the capabilities of the saw

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

I wonder if there will be more injuries through one handing or using battery saws for cuts that are a bit beyond the capabilities of the saw

That’s a real possibility if people are cutting and holding with a saw that can’t cut through quickly and cleanly enough.

• Like 1

I’ve switched to a battery husky after cutting myself with an 020.

Definitely safer, imho. The chain stops pretty much as soon as you take your finger off the trigger.

Got to say I really like it. My elbows have never felt better since switching. It’s a bit slower, but for cutting and holding I love it!

• Like 2

I did the tendons in my finger a couple of years and went back in the next day after my op, I think it’s the best thing aswell. You just have to be carful.