Hydraulic pump damage?

dig-dug-dan

Had a guy hiring a crusher off me. He rings at about 2 to say its been leaking oil all day, and the ram has now stopped working. So instead of reporting the oil leak straight away, he continued to use it!

I found a loose fitting on a pipe, tightened it, then topped it up . Ran the machine, ram was painfully slow. Pump making a funny noise. Stopped it, released the breather , re attached and ran it again. Seemed better. Did this a few times and it does appear to be now working, but would any damage have been done to the pump in these circumstances? I am assuming lots of air has been pumped round the system

Just now, Jase hutch said:

Just wondering , is there a hydraulic return filter ? If so then any metal particles from a failed/failing hydraulic pump should be visible in the filter.

There is, didnt notice any when i removed it to fill up, but will check

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Had a guy hiring a crusher off me. He rings at about 2 to say its been leaking oil all day, and the ram has now stopped working. So instead of reporting the oil leak straight away, he continued to use it!

I found a loose fitting on a pipe, tightened it, then topped it up . Ran the machine, ram was painfully slow. Pump making a funny noise. Stopped it, released the breather , re attached and ran it again. Seemed better. Did this a few times and it does appear to be now working, but would any damage have been done to the pump in these circumstances? I am assuming lots of air has been pumped round the system

Hi i have just said tonight to the woman who has the chippy where i picked my tea up, it seems like half the population of the UK just seem brain dead,!, hydraulic pump shoud run in oil 24/7 as it cant pump oil and lubricate its self with out oil, just keep your eye on it if its ok i think you have had a lucky escape,