Unhappy Ash

Puffster

I have a couple of Ash trees on my property and whilst others, typically the ones that were pollarded a few years ago, have all sprouted bundles of leaves, these two have maybe a few dozen new spouts each. I presume that they may have reached a certain time of their life...

What is the best approach to them? Pollard and hope that will encourage sprouting or just take them out altogether? Typically, both are near enough buildings and powerlines

2 hours ago, Puffster said:

I have a couple of Ash trees on my property and whilst others, typically the ones that were pollarded a few years ago, have all sprouted bundles of leaves, these two have maybe a few dozen new spouts each. I presume that they may have reached a certain time of their life...

What is the best approach to them? Pollard and hope that will encourage sprouting or just take them out altogether? Typically, both are near enough buildings and powerlines

they probably have Chalara  ( ash die back )  . Most of the Ash around here is struggling

29 minutes ago, Puffster said:

Thanks Stubby, that is my fear too. Is it worth pollarding and hoping to see some life in the future or should they just come down?

If they are still sound in the trunk I would just leave them . Pollarding would stress them even more I would think .  We desperately need to find trees that are resistant or can recover for future stocks . So , if there is any chance they will come through it then we should give them it . I doubt it but what have you to loose ?

20 minutes ago, Puffster said:

Erm... prevailing wind from one would take out my woodshed and stone garage and the other probably the electricity and possibly corner of my house! Perhaps a few select branches might be removed.

Ok . targets . fair enough .