Planting trees and hedgerows

7 minutes ago, Khriss said:

There is a huge problem with this if lots of trees get planted in the wrong place.  I would like to see a couple of arb experts behind this to guide or advise, not some blanket coverage to just look good in the press. K

It's okay Khriss, I was reading yesterday that he's said it's going to be the 'right tree in the right place' and he referred to this publication.

So there's hope!

The Right tree in the right place.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Gimlet
14 hours ago, 5 shires said:

Personally I can’t see any issues with the planting of billions of trees as it will be mainly planting out into areas were trees and or single tree have died,as for the hedgerows I think there will be a problem not only deciding were to begin but the farm equipment we have now needs wide open acreage of fields and turning them back into a patch work as of 50/60 years ago with be near impossible.

Accommodating modern equipment needn't be a problem. I have a hedge laying contract with a large organic farm and they've been planting miles of new hedgerow. A lot of the land is quite exposed and they're finding the new hedges, when laid, are boosting soil quality by reducing erosion, especially on the hills, so they're more than happy to plant more of them. They have also noted the greatly improved wind and snow protection a laid hedge provides and they plan to plant and lay more as shelter belts for their sheep. 

Crop rotation being critical on an organic farm, there isn't necessarily any benefit for them in have vast wide open monocultural fields. Plus they work the fields less intensively to start with and hopefully their model of farming will be more prevalent in the future, not less. Where they're ending up with a boundary between two different crops in the same field they may as well make the junction permanent with a hedge. They're also adding specimen tress to their hedges as well.

They're not creating tiny ten acre plots by any means but just by demarcating their biggest fields that still amounts to thousands of yards of new hedge without impeding machinery in any way. And where post and wire fences have been removed to facilitate planting or laying of hedges they're not putting them back which is good news all round.

It's really a matter of planning margins and access tracks carefully.  My next three years of work there will all be new hedges they have planted. Long may it continue. I just have to wean them off their habit of adding osier dogwood to their native mix. It's an utter menace in a hedgerow. 

Edited by Gimlet