squashed chainsaw,husqy 357xpg.

struie

bit of a dilemma here guys.

was on a job last week with a digger op,bringing down a sitka,and small birch.anyway the sitka came in at around 3ton or so,down it came,no probs,untill the digger op said he did not have his saw with him,he asked to borrow one of mine,  the wee bell started ringing, as i had to climb n reduce the birch,leaning over a 6foot fence,i let him use the saw,the last thing i said was not to cut the bottom limbs supporting the sitka,i would get them when i came down to fell the birch.anyway he trapped the saw under the sitka,well it is now u/s,squashed,knackered.do i take payment of the saw when new,700 pound ten years or so ago when i bought it,or settle for a second hand replacement which i dont really think i want to.would appreciate advice here.regards struie.

bit of a dilemma here guys.
 was on a job last week with a digger op,bringing down a sitka,and small birch.anyway the sitka came in at around 3ton or so,down it came,no probs,untill the digger op said he did not have his saw with him,he asked to borrow one of mine,  the wee bell started ringing, as i had to climb n reduce the birch,leaning over a 6foot fence,i let him use the saw,the last thing i said was not to cut the bottom limbs supporting the sitka,i would get them when i came down to fell the birch.anyway he trapped the saw under the sitka,well it is now u/s,squashed,knackered.do i take payment of the saw when new,700 pound ten years or so ago when i bought it,or settle for a second hand replacement which i dont really think i want to.would appreciate advice here.regards struie.

Be going for the cost of it to you from new to start with. Failing that if your struggling to recoup then i’d be trying for top book price at least but in cash, not a 2nd hand saw, least then you can decide on a new purchase and top up, or choose your own 2nd hand saw.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, htb said:

How knackered. So long as cases, crank and pot are OK, Replace the damaged bits

Yes but new bits would make this uneconomic so I'd be looking for a cheap one with damaged motor.

Either way the other guy should pay but allowing for 10 years wear and tear.

Personally I'd keep the bits, buy a new saw and expect a tidy contribution to that.

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes but new bits would make this uneconomic so I'd be looking for a cheap one with damaged motor.

Either way the other guy should pay but allowing for 10 years wear and tear.

Personally I'd keep the bits, buy a new saw and expect a tidy contribution to that.

True, but I meant replace damaged with good s/h parts or as you say a seized, non runner for parts

Trashed a 461 last july on a windblown clearance saw ended up ramed in to woodland floor and the result was about £190 for back handle/tank, exhaust, front handle, chain brake/front hand gaurd and sproket/side cover, then another £85 for bar and chain, saw at the time was just 12 mths old and had done very little work untill this job came along, i was sick as f--k when i picked the saw up out of the ground and so the state of it, but better the saw than me,

20180602_163957.jpg

20180602_164022 (1).jpg

20180602_163942.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Trashed a 461 last july on a windblown clearance saw ended up ramed in to woodland floor and the result was about £190 for back handle/tank, exhaust, front handle, chain brake/front hand gaurd and sproket/side cover, then another £85 for bar and chain, saw at the time was just 12 mths old and had done very little work untill this job came along, i was sick as f--k when i picked the saw up out of the ground and so the state of it, but better the saw than me,
20180602_163957.thumb.jpg.f9495e0b06c368381b4f79c14a9fa5b5.jpg
1115595066_20180602_164022(1).thumb.jpg.b17d1d5153b88bdc68c7784e0518da1c.jpg
20180602_163942.thumb.jpg.20c99e3c7b370853ea9dc677c0e75f34.jpg

That's a crunched saw [emoji12][emoji106]

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

That's a crunched saw emoji12.pngemoji106.png

thanks for all the feedback troops,i seen the one on ebay, the perp is in ireland just now,so,will speak to him next week.will keep u all updated on outcume , stay safe,and thanks again to all.regards.