Jump to content
forestboy1978

how to deal with an employee

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

Having to pick someone up every day is a massive pain in the arse. Even if it is only a couple miles away

Buy them a cheap bike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw more than one group of lads strolling around the Arb show last week in company branded work gear on smoking joints. I think this must be the luckiest group of employers you could imagine who are commenting on this thread if they have no-one working for them who partakes. 

 

They are 100% in the minority though

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

I saw more than one group of lads strolling around the Arb show last week in company branded work gear on smoking joints. I think this must be the luckiest group of employers you could imagine who are commenting on this thread if they have no-one working for them who partakes. 

 

They are 100% in the minority though

Tbh most of the people I know, through work, are users but as I said in my last post, keep it away from work. I've sent lads home on a number of occasions when I thought they were unfit. It's all you can do.

 

IME alcohol has been a bigger issue. If someone has a smoke of a night, within bounds they're not effected the following day but if they've been a bender! I did had a stand up row with my employer in the yard cos he was still p'ed up from the night before. The ultimatum was he went home or I did. I simply wouldn't work with him while he was under the influence.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Tbh most of the people I know, through work, are users but as I said in my last post, keep it away from work. I've sent lads home on a number of occasions when I thought they were unfit. It's all you can do.

 

IME alcohol has been a bigger issue. If someone has a smoke of a night, within bounds they're not effected the following day but if they've been a bender! I did had a stand up row with my employer in the yard cos he was still p'ed up from the night before. The ultimatum was he went home or I did. I simply wouldn't work with him while he was under the influence.

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you say mate. Drugs (alcohol included) and the effects that it has on mental health are massively overlooked in the industry imo. 

 

*Cue everyone going mad now. 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

Agree wholeheartedly with everything you say mate. Drugs (alcohol included) and the effects that it has on mental health are massively overlooked in the industry imo. 

 

*Cue everyone going mad now. 

I have my own chequered history of substances and I'm a bit on the fence between personal freedoms and what's wise or for the best. And I don't know where we're going to end up, looking at the legislation that's going on in the states. 

 

One point of view is mandatory drug testing as is already happening on some construction sites. An arb company could probably decide, as policy, that they didn't employ users and test/fire abusers. Don't know how that would go down :lol:   

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly some of the absolute spanners I have had to work with -drugs or booze - was hardly an impairment!  K

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Khriss said:

Frankly some of the absolute spanners I have had to work with -drugs or booze - was hardly an impairment!  K

Have you any knowledge of any of the bigger arb employers drug testing stuff? And if so, how did it work out in both finding staff and staff turnover? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem is that a lot of what is required as a labourer in tree work, landscaping or fencing is grunt work, usually for modest pay.

 

You have to put up with some right ‘characters’ if you want to actually get the work done.

 

Where you set the bar is up to you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

I have my own chequered history of substances and I'm a bit on the fence between personal freedoms and what's wise or for the best. And I don't know where we're going to end up, looking at the legislation that's going on in the states. 

 

One point of view is mandatory drug testing as is already happening on some construction sites. An arb company could probably decide, as policy, that they didn't employ users and test/fire abusers. Don't know how that would go down :lol:   

I'm told drug testing is going on in a big way on some construction site, my mate got sacked from a road construction firm for a positive piss sample, (pot smoker). I've not seen it on any site I've been on though. I think it's harsh getting the sack because you smoked a couple of joints the night before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.