how to deal with an employee

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I'm told drug testing is going on in a big way on some construction site, my mate got sacked from a road construction firm for a positive piss sample, (pot smoker). I've not seen it on any site I've been on though. I think it's harsh getting the sack because you smoked a couple of joints the night before.

I had to have a D&A test as part of my biennial medical, I always passed by abstaining from alcohol for 24 hours but was told cannabis would be detected for a longer period (not tried that for 50 years nor indeed alcohol for 18 months).

All of a crew got tested after an incident and we stood a 2 out of 5 chance of random testing in any year as well though in seven years I never got called for that.

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I had to have a D&A test as part of my biennial medical, I always passed by abstaining from alcohol for 24 hours but was told cannabis would be detected for a longer period (not tried that for 50 years nor indeed alcohol for 18 months).

All of a crew got tested after an incident and we stood a 2 out of 5 chance of random testing in any year as well though in seven years I never got called for that.

My mates was a random test by the company he worked for, he got another job the same week. He still smokes, his attitude is, they can sack me if they want, I'll get another start somewhere else. Taking the piss came in when I was at her majesty's pleasure, it was at the same time that hard drugs started flooding uk prisons, pot stays in the system for upto 30 days, heroin and the like are untraceable after 24 hours, how not to control drug use!

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I'm told drug testing is going on in a big way on some construction site, my mate got sacked from a road construction firm for a positive piss sample, (pot smoker). I've not seen it on any site I've been on though. I think it's harsh getting the sack because you smoked a couple of joints the night before.

I disagree personally. If you have signed a contract and broken that then there you go. 

If its a surprise test I might think differently but if I was up a tree and there was a complete wreckhead at the bottom of it, I wouldn't be impressed. Met a lot of people that say they only have 2 or 3 joints every night and its not an addiction... 

• Like 3

I used to smoke myself heavily from 15-30. Started giving me anxiety and depression so I stopped it, and everything else pretty much, so I don't make a harsh judgement for that vice but of course a bollocking was given. He's accepted getting his ass in or getting another job gracefully. I pointed out I've scratched his back plenty and I'm not even asking for a back scratch in return, just get to work and reduce my stress and workload. 

Anyhow, my mate who just started is a bulldozer it seems. We just smashed out 3 days work in 2 pretty much and customer is happy so so am I.

Happy days

• Like 3

If it's adding an hour onto your day, which you'd charge around £80-£90 to a client, this is costing about 400 quid a week.
Buy him a bag of weed on a Friday if he makes his own way in and you both win.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mark J said:

If it's adding an hour onto your day, which you'd charge around £80-£90 to a client, this is costing about 400 quid a week.

Feck me!, I thought I was having it away at £45/hour + travel.

I should add, this isn't on a regular basis, I might do 2-3 days a month on that money, subbing. The company I do it for must be charging more.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Is this a joke? Where the hell do you work, Buckingham Palace?

• Haha 1