how to deal with an employee

Always baffles me people that don’t learn to drive, can’t imagine how life without the freedom of you’re own personal transport.

Having to pick him up and take him home everyday would really grind on. Personal opinion though

I am not an employer so no real advice there but the drugs thing is a huge no - after all say he is a lil worse for wear and something happens and you are obviously aware of it....  liability may be a huge issue.

on transport front a cheap as chips 50 or 125 cc bike and provisional license plus basic training and problem solved. did it for two years as an apprentice at a round trip of 30 miles daily all year round. 

boss then took me home a couple times when roads were properly scary for a bike and i genuinely appreciated it, as did he since i didnt abuse it so works both ways.

• Like 7

Your labourer sounds like a waste of space. A stoner, can't get to work by himself and can't follow instruction. It's not a glowing CV when you break it down like that. 

I'd get rid and find someone else.

• Like 10

I agree with Mick and Big J. This guy sounds lame but if you can’t replace him at the moment suck it up for now and choose your time when it suits you to let him go.
If he is an employee surely he has a contract or he should do. Everything he has done will be breeching it. In which case record what’s been done and give him a written warning in the first instance.
If he’s not employed and is actually casual but regular labour just replace him when it suits you.
Blowing up about these things Is often unproductive. On the plus side to blowing up at least you won’t need to take him home that day ......

7 hours ago, david wood said:

I am not an employer so no real advice there but the drugs thing is a huge no - after all say he is a lil worse for wear and something happens and you are obviously aware of it....  liability may be a huge issue.

on transport front a cheap as chips 50 or 125 cc bike and provisional license plus basic training and problem solved. did it for two years as an apprentice at a round trip of 30 miles daily all year round. 

boss then took me home a couple times when roads were properly scary for a bike and i genuinely appreciated it, as did he since i didnt abuse it so works both ways.

This; the fact that you know he is working while unfit through drugs is now on the internet for any insurer to find and use to refuse a pay out if the worst should happen. Tell him he has to stay off of it while he is working for you.

How about giving him this thread to read? It would show that your attitude to these issues isn't a personal thing but are pretty much common to his and your peers.

I'd be unhappy if an employee was skinning up outside my house,particularly if I was having neighbour issues. In the end your job is to make a success of your business and continue to provide employment for your staff. That's where your focus lies. If lads are hindering that you've got a problem.

From your post I can't determine how much of the attention span issues are drug related but I'd have concerns. I don't care what people do in their private lives but when it impacts on the working day it has to be sorted - tree work can be risky enough without adding substance abuse. Forget about insurance issues and the affects to your business if something bad happened, but think how you'd feel if someone got hurt due to his actions. 

• Like 4

Can't make my mind up on this one after reading through the thread..

On the one hand I wouldn't have a stoner working for me if they paid me to work for me..

On the other hand if the lads pulling his weight on the job I can't see it being a problem...

I think a word might be of use, tell the lad you like him generally but he's started to slip.. and if he doesn't pull himself together you'll be looking to find an alternative..   

Sometimes its about the devil you know as well... could get rid of him and end up with a string of wasters in his place..    

• Like 1

Having to pick someone up every day is a massive pain in the arse. Even if it is only a couple miles away. All that time adds up significantly over the course of a week/month. Even more annoying when they aren't ready.

Years ago I got roped into picking someone up. Started off ok but as time went by more and more liberties were taken. The final straw was when he came running out of the house one morning and asked me if I could wait a minute as he was just changing the little ones bum. That in itself wouldn't have bothered me, its the fact his partner was a stay at home mum and could quite easily have done it herself.

• Like 1