how to deal with an employee

3 minutes ago, Alex O said:

Tell him you can pick him up in the morning but your quoting jobs in the evening so he’s welcome to use the scooter to get home, then bring it back in the morning. Just test his commitment to you if it’s not really there then find another. But I guess now you have started doing all this for him you’ve made a bit of a rod for your own back.

I am quoting tomorrow and I can't get him home. This is an actual fact. Same today. Cut down a hedge and 4 hours driving and picking up materials and hand balling next weeks off to the yard so paid my other labourer a fiver to do it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I used to give a lift to an employee every day, and it was way more hassle than I expected.  I could never be late in to work even though it is my business.  Even worse I could never be early!  Same problem at the end of the day.  And it was really annoying if ever I had to wait for him.  Just not worth it, and he was actually on my route.  Good luck.

This^^^

It's a massive pain in the arse...

2 minutes ago, Alex O said:

It’s always frustrating when you get a good lad on board , but I guess it’s setting that president from the go and sticking to it. Think we have all been there , best of luck with it.

Thanks but he's not the new lad. The new lad is 40 years old and I've known him for 20+ years. Despite him being best part of 20 stone I have no hesitation in bollocking him, which I have already, he knows the score. 

Its a big pond out there, starting fishing!

Why on earth would any employer make do with a liability?

At one time I didn't do much networking within the industry (I just got lazy) and for a couple of years I had the same old problem children. I then changed my ways and now have a great group of guys to call as and when required. Going to work is a pleasure and working with professionals helps!

• Like 2

Recently had to take on a full time guy.
Went through about 6 guys to find a keeper.
Loads of guys have tickets but no or little experience,
I advertised on here for groundie £100+ a day
Climber £150+ a day.
Not one call.
Driving license is a must too.
Picking up and dropping staff off kills your hours.

A friend who ran a department of lawyers explained it like this:
Mainly the people you employ know the job and how to get on with it.
When they aren't performing it's usually because of something in their personal lives.
She was more like a shrink/confident, than a manager.
Spending time to understand what's going on in their lives may help,as well as you explaining how long hours you already do.
No easy answers.
Good luck
[emoji106]

• Like 1

Your bloke sounds like a pain in the arse but do bear in mind you posted a video a while ago of you calling your labourer a wanker or something. You're probably not cultivating an atmosphere of professionalism.

Real hard one this ,

I have similar problems wi one of mine , likes a smoke too much . Always having to be told everything three times and forgetting stuff on a regular basis but is a good worker and not always on his phone and never off work .

The driving thing is a real pain as it ties you up start and end of day , I eventually got fed up with running after him and told him to make his own arrangements or get a new job .

He ended up buying a 125 motor bike .

Dunno what the solution to your problem is , good guys are hard to find so it’s a bit of a double edged sword .

Best of luck 

• Like 2