how to deal with an employee

OK guy is sound, reliable and gets on with the job. We haven't had one argument in 18 months... but

Lives 2 miles away and I have to pick him up and drop him off every day which adds just under an hour a day to my 60+ hour week. 

I offered to let him borrow my electric scooter so he doesn't even have to peddle to get here (doesn't have a licence) and this seems to be the height of a liberty to him. 

Also is a massive stoner so I have to often tell him to do the same thing twice. This is a minor thing of course but niggles.

Today I find out that him and my other labourer banged up a joint outside the house cos it stank. They didn't smoke it but none the less they were in uniform. 

Also he didn't cover the chipper with tarpaulin properly which I've already made him take it off and do it again once as it tends to tear and also expose the chipper if not done properly. This may sound anal but I have an asshole neighbour who reports every damn thing I do re my business I also don't want it visible and stolen. Reason this happened is cos the new guy did it while he was banging up a joint. Ultimately I finished at 7pm tonight and then had to do 10 mins more work cos it wasn't done and it's a fucking simple thing that has been explained how and the reasons why. 

I'm knackered and I'm pissed. I'm glad he didn't answer the phone just now cos I'm not calm.

Dunno really how to play it. Just give him an ultimatum. Use the scooter or get another job or what? Couldn't even pick him up for over an hour today cos logistics of the day just didn't allow it. 

• Sad 1

I'm obviously not gonna sack him. It's not warranted for 1 screw up and an ongoing hassle, even though he has not intention to sort it out. 

I've even taken him for 2 driving lessons the last 2 weeks cos he crashed his driving instructors car and is fearful of a manual gear box. 3 hours of just going through the gears. Pulling away in first, then from first to second and slowly driving around. He's no Nigel Mansell but he'll get it with perserverence. 

My point is I'm making the effort, so does he, during work, but ask him to spend 12 mins twice a day on a self propelled scooter to get to his frickin job and you'd think I was asking him to blow me.

2 miles isn't that far to walk for anyone unless its pissin with rain, in which case he might be keener for the transport offer. BUT a good reliable experienced worker is hard to replace. Re the skinning up strong words to be had. On site unacceptable, off site, in yard or in his own space uniform or not ,your choice.
We all need telling more than once for most things in life. Let him know your dissapointed, but not completely pissed. Once you've blown up its too late. My old boss enjoyed a toke with us at end of day, but we knew where boundaries were.

• Like 4

Tell him you can pick him up in the morning but your quoting jobs in the evening so he’s welcome to use the scooter to get home, then bring it back in the morning. Just test his commitment to you if it’s not really there then find another. But I guess now you have started doing all this for him you’ve made a bit of a rod for your own back.

• Like 2

You need to be straight with him.  He needs to know how you feel.  He needs to realise that you pay him to do what you need him to do, not most of it, but all of it.  If he is a decent lad he will take the ticking off and learn from it.

Sadly there seem to be lots of youngsters out there who are unwilling or unable to learn from their employers.  Hopefully your lad is not this type, but you must highlight clearly where his shortcomings are and the standards you expect of him.  

I used to give a lift to an employee every day, and it was way more hassle than I expected.  I could never be late in to work even though it is my business.  Even worse I could never be early!  Same problem at the end of the day.  And it was really annoying if ever I had to wait for him.  Just not worth it, and he was actually on my route.  Good luck.

• Like 2

I once had a lad on work placement that I later took on full time. Good worker, and good with customers and started to become a really good climber.

But same thing as yourself that I had to pick him up and then drop him back, always sub him money before pay day. At first I didn't mind as he was a good worker but as his hangovers got worse and the late morning became more frequent for him it really started to stress me out.

Then one Christmas I received a lovely card from his Mum wishing me a happy holiday and ending with thanks for looking after my boy.

A light turn on and I thought why the hell should I be looking after a guy in his mid 20s. What do I get for all the additional hours put in by being his chauffeur, if he worked in Tesco would they send a taxi for him each shift.

You said that he is reliable but how can he be if he can't even get to work.

You have to decide whether it's worth all the additional hours you put in employing him or would you be better spending that time finding someone that can get to work in the morning under there own steam.

• Like 1