Tiny chipper for zero access garden

Joe Newton

8 hours ago, scbk said:

Make a mini incinerator out of an old drum, once you get it going good you can feed it fairly fast, you just have to cut the stuff to 4ft or whatever lengths

If you fix a tube, same size as yr blower spout, in bottom of drum then you have an Air burner , which will mean almost no smoke but feeding it will need gloves ! K

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

If you fix a tube, same size as yr blower spout, in bottom of drum then you have an Air burner , which will mean almost no smoke but feeding it will need gloves ! K

You need the tube at the top, if at the bottom it the heat from the bottom pyrolyses everything above  and produces clouds of smoke.

I was doing just this yestersay in E Grinstead to get rid of an overgrown privet hedge (which I cut down in March and left to dry). I guess I burned only about half a transit load or 300kg in the day so nowhere near as productive as an open fire or chipper.

In the past I have used leaf blower, vacuum cleaner blowing and ventilation fan, the ventilation fan being the quietest and less likely to loft burning leaves.

Aim the tube downward about 10 degrees and  tangentially. 4' is a good compromise for diameter but smaller if it has to go through door. It's the shearing and mixing of the central vortex that gives the clean burn in these air curtain AKA flame cap devices but they gradually fill up with char if continually loaded.