Zigzag with Chicane or Rope Wrench Hitch System

I recently got to try out a buddies SRT setup and seeing that I do a lot of pruning I would like to start climbing SRT.

I’m trying to decide whether to go ZigZag or rope wrench hitch setup. I still like to use DRT for some things I’m sure so I was thinking of going zigzag. Also the akimbo, i hear good things about. But can you DRT on Akimbo.

Unsure which route to take. Any recommendations please

Depends how you like climbing normally day to day , I have tried the akimbo and zz and most other mechanical ascenders and I always go back to a hitch climber VT type hitch and wrench .. nothing feels as fluid as a well tuned hitch for me personally.
That said the akimbo was good , although it didn’t like dirt or wet ropes but mine was pre production and the new ones look a little altered.
Never liked the ZZ for any application really.

• Thanks 1

Haven’t climbed a bunch on SRT so my experience is limited but I was speaking to Adam from Acer tree surgeons (one of the guys helping in the sorbus tent) at the arb show about the ZZ and chicane combo. He made a valid point that the chicane is midline attachable meaning you could access the tree SRT with the chicane and ZZ then switch back DDRT with just the ZZ.

Completely changed my initial opinion of the chicane as I use a ZZ

Haven’t climbed a bunch on SRT so my experience is limited but I was speaking to Adam from Acer tree surgeons (one of the guys helping in the sorbus tent) at the arb show about the ZZ and chicane combo. He made a valid point that the chicane is midline attachable meaning you could access the tree SRT with the chicane and ZZ then switch back DDRT with just the ZZ.

Completely changed my initial opinion of the chicane as I use a ZZ

Rope wrenches are midline attachable. Mine is anyway.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 21/05/2019 at 01:30, tree_stooge said:

I recently got to try out a buddies SRT setup and seeing that I do a lot of pruning I would like to start climbing SRT.

I’m trying to decide whether to go ZigZag or rope wrench hitch setup. I still like to use DRT for some things I’m sure so I was thinking of going zigzag. Also the akimbo, i hear good things about. But can you DRT on Akimbo.

Unsure which route to take. Any recommendations please

go zz with chicane or rope wrench personally I found that it's the best thing on the market for both 

This is Richard Mumsford's slightly improved interpretation of the venerable Hitch Hiker. If your looking for a tool to seamlessly go from single to double rope this is pretty tough to beat. Once dialed in this thing is buttery smooth, super quick, and ultra responsive in both SRT and DdRT. My favorite hitch based system. 

https://climbing-innovations.myshopify.com/products/hitch-hiker-x-with-rock-exotica-swivaeye

When I started climbing SRT it was with the wrench and hitch cord. It changed everything. As time went on I found dealing with hitches to be annoying, in SRT and DDRT. Always messing with them and when I’m in conifers forget it. (Sappy hitch sucks!) So I went mechanical. I used the Rope Runner, Akimbo, and ZZ/Chicane. I found the RR to be hard on my hand and did not like how it came apart. 3 different pieces of hardware and like 3 pins in my hand in a tree. No thanks. The Akimbo I thought for sure would be what I was gonna buy, but it never seemed to adjust right for my weight. (170lbs) it was very finicky. After I used the ZZ/Chicane, I bought one the next day. It’s butter....so smooth! The fact the Chicane is midline attachable is amazing, because I can switch back and forth at my leisure. Paired with the Teufelberger Drenaline it is for sure the best set up I’ve used. 

A long winded speech so I’m sorry, but that’s my two cents. 

• Like 3