Which Micro

donnk

8 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Do they? Got to say the Kubota kx18-4 i trialled wasn’t a particularly pleasant experience. I think it’s a geographical thing most hire co’s down here are Takeuchi. 

I was referring to the micro machine segment!

Definately gotta be servo levers, so good choice there. A micro on sticks can make a decent operator look shit.

I really like my Bobcat E10, and the residuals are suppost to be bulletproof. You're looking at £13-14K+VAT. Second hand onces with 1000 hours seemed to be around 11k, so new was a no brainer.

When comparing this new generation of 1.2t micros, be aware that there are a few promising (on paper) more power for the same weight. Kato's one, for example, and I think also the Yanmar. However, they are not true 'micros', and don't shrink down as much. Kato push theirs more as a machine that can be legally transported on a 3.5t wagon rather than a micro.

Matt- on paper, the Tak has more slightly power than the Bobcat. I'd say it's all pretty subjective, and you should buy a micro because you need to get in tight spaces and it's easier than a shovel! Yes, they're painfully slow and lacking in reach compared to a  1.7t, but you can't have it both ways I guess.

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 09.45.00.png

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

Having used micro's they seem a large investment for what is essentially a toy ex. Tiny reach, bucket capacity, power etc. but maybe ok if you a full time landscaper. They are similar money to a 1.5 t, which is a far more versatile machine with a ripper tooth, grip tallon and other attachments. Horses for courses I suppose. Hire in for the rare occasion the access wont allow for a 1.5t.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Having used micro's they seem a large investment for what is essentially a toy ex. Tiny reach, bucket capacity, power etc. but maybe ok if you a full time landscaper. They are similar money to a 1.5 t, which is a far more versatile machine with a ripper tooth, grip tallon and other attachments. Horses for courses I suppose. Hire in for the rare occasion the access wont allow for a 1.5t.

I have the same ish opinion whereas I think a 1.5tonner is a waste of money as micro will go on the back of a transit tipper so no faffing about with trailers and if you do need to tow a trailer a 2.7 tonner isn't much wider than a 1.5 with 3x the digging force so micro = narrow access 2.7 tonner = grunt / digging  force 

Jack 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

I have the same ish opinion whereas I think a 1.5tonner is a waste of money as micro will go on the back of a transit tipper so no faffing about with trailers and if you do need to tow a trailer a 2.7 tonner isn't much wider than a 1.5 with 3x the digging force so micro = narrow access 2.7 tonner = grunt / digging  force 

Jack 

Fair comment, I have compared the specs. for 1.5 v 2.7 so didn't realise the 2.7 was 3x digging force. I think the original poster needs compactness though. We have always transported our steel tracked 1.5t on transits and Ivecos same as our 1.2 Yanmar tracked dumper, loaded on the ramps.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Fair comment, I have compared the specs. for 1.5 v 2.7 so didn't realise the 2.7 was 3x digging force. I think the original poster needs compactness though. We have always transported our steel tracked 1.5t on transits and Ivecos same as our 1.2 Yanmar tracked dumper, loaded on the ramps.

Any excavator is better than a shovel though ? to me if your using a 1.5 tonner there's that odd job where you wish for that little bit more power so a 2.7 has got the necessary power and then any machine worthwhile buying after that will be a 8 tonner since the hassle is already there of getting a bigger machine shifted that's the ideal setup for my buisness anyway ☺ 

Jack 

I think we could go round in circles with methodologies as to which is the best sized machine to own- I guess the biggest one possible in the space provided . I have a 1.8 and 2.8t and to be honest the amount of jobs where I can’t get the bigger one in over the 1.8 can be counted on one hand in a year, generally the smaller the digger the less I enjoy operating it... there will be an immaculate Takeuchi TB216 for sale on Arbtrader soon!

2 hours ago, arboriculturist said:

I used to think that. Then, as the OP is thinking, I bought one to soak up some tax. Since then it's been out twice a month at least. I've realised how many digger and driver jobs I've been turning away as access is tight. I've also realised how handy it is, you can stick it on the back of the tipper truck and run a couple of loads of muck away on a small driveway digout for example. I hated it the first month I had it- so slow and small compared to a 1.7t. Then I came to appreciate it on a tight access job, or a simple digger and driver hire where you're not pressured for time (trenching out into barrows for example). Now I really like it.

Also, no reason you can't have a ripper or grapple on a micro- see my pic above!

I think you need a 1.2t micro, 1.7t and a 2.7t. A 2.7t would be overkill for a lot of jobs we do, and they are a pain to drag about compared to a 1.7t. They are also around 40% more purchase price for 10% more day rate, so from the perspective of offering digger and driver hire, this is a massive consideration.

For arb work though, 2.7t all the way. Having taken on another member of staff I'm going down the building/landscaping route, so the micro will be used a lot more, but a 2.7t is definately on the wish list.

You can't really loose with any towable digger bought new on finance to be fair. Far cheaper than labour.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1