Which Micro

donnk

On 19/05/2019 at 12:57, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

I have the same ish opinion whereas I think a 1.5tonner is a waste of money as micro will go on the back of a transit tipper so no faffing about with trailers and if you do need to tow a trailer a 2.7 tonner isn't much wider than a 1.5 with 3x the digging force so micro = narrow access 2.7 tonner = grunt / digging  force 

Jack 

this.

have a 3 tonner already, this would be useful to do what is normally shovel work. i can get the 3 tonner same places the 1.5 will go pretty much.

12+vat is not too shabby, this comes down to £9.6k after corp tax.

Show me an ISA that can make you £2400 on £12k in the first year !

• Like 1

I suppose, particularly if you are into building and doorway work, but my logic is that a 2.8 costs a lot more than a 1.8 and is another 500mm wider which makes a big difference, whereas a 1.8 is only a few grand more than a micro and at its narrowest is only 150mm or so wider, having the 1.8 go down to a meter makes it go through most garden gates etc and also has far more capacity as an attachment carrier over a micro.

I’m in a rural area though- I’ve only had a micro on hire twice in ten years and the second time I ended up returning it and returning with my 3 tonner and took out a granite gatepost to get it in.

Edited by Matthew Storrs

9 hours ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

That's all life is though trial and error I'm trying to work it so I can buy one second hand and use it for self drive or owner operator and then put money aside trade that one in and get a new one bought outright I don't want overheads as I am getting quite a lot of dry spells so don't want something sitting in the yard not earning but paying out for it unless I'm just being daft? 

Jack 

In the nicest possible way, you're being daft. Here ya go:

Five years finance, five years extended warranty. Monthly payments of £233. High residuals mean that after a couple of years should you want out it shouldn't cost you anything. One digger driver job at £260-£280 a day covers the finance, so it's only got to go out once a month. Once you've got it the work will come to you.

Do it mate. Bobcat of London seem OK to deal with.

Thre's no money in self drive unless you have a fleet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I suppose, particularly if you are into building and doorway work, but my logic is that a 2.8 costs a lot more than a 1.8 and is another 500mm wider which makes a big difference, whereas a 1.8 is only a few grand more than a micro and at its narrowest is only 150mm or so wider, having the 1.8 go down to a meter makes it go through most garden gates etc and also has far more capacity as an attachment carrier over a micro.

I’m in a rural area though- I’ve only had a micro on hire twice in ten years and the second time I ended up returning it and returning with my 3 tonner and took out a granite gatepost to get it in.

My micro goes down to 710 mm, but my 1.7t only to 990 IIRC.

I really want a 2.7t too.

8 hours ago, doobin said:

Five years finance, five years extended warranty. Monthly payments of £233. High residuals mean that after a couple of years should you want out it shouldn't cost you anything. One digger driver job at £260-£280 a day covers the finance, so it's only got to go out once a month. Once you've got it the work will come to you.

.... and your lovely nice new machine which in itself should be an advert for your business will get trashed- urgh- the thought of self drive fills me with the highest level of horror imaginable!

9 hours ago, doobin said:

My micro goes down to 710 mm, but my 1.7t only to 990 IIRC.

I really want a 2.7t too.

im more than happy with the 3 tonner kubota, just had its first 100 hour service, she is a year old in september so we dont rack up the hours like tree guys or landscapers but its in mint condition and will stay like that until the tax has to be kept down and I'll move it on for readies (FU taxman) and start the process again.

Im finding more and more now, with tight sites drainage ends up being a real pig. Shovelling trenches, barrowing etc etc. a micro just fits down a standard back garden gate (side of house) and can get it to site on the iveco without buggering about with a trailer. 

Once its on site (hired is cheap as cheaps)it gets used for all sorts, ive miced a whole jumbo bag of sharp and cement on 2 sheets of osb using it as we had no electric and the petrol mixer on another job. that would have been a ball ache by hand.

9 hours ago, doobin said:

Some good sense being talked there with those numbers? And £260-280 assumes you are just being on a day rate- a decent days price work that all goes well and you could probably add £150 on that , so it only needs 2 days every 3 months(but obviously more the better!)??

Then theres every time you do a little job round the yard, or 10 minutes on site where you'd "manage' for a morning if you had to hire something.

Although you haven't mentioned the deposit for the finance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, william127 said:

Some good sense being talked there with those numbers? And £260-280 assumes you are just being on a day rate- a decent days price work that all goes well and you could probably add £150 on that , so it only needs 2 days every 3 months(but obviously more the better!)??

Then theres every time you do a little job round the yard, or 10 minutes on site where you'd "manage' for a morning if you had to hire something.

Although you haven't mentioned the deposit for the finance.

I got in contact with my local yanmar dealer today and I can't pass a credit check not having any credit so need to get my credit built up first then I'll look into it again 

Jack 

18 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

I got in contact with my local yanmar dealer today and I can't pass a credit check not having any credit so need to get my credit built up first then I'll look into it again 

Jack 

Shop around independent finance co’s. first time I used finance Takeuchi wouldn’t touch me for similar reasons as I had never borrowed money- but the dealer recommended a local finance co and they obliged and went on to finance several machines since.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, donnk said:

im more than happy with the 3 tonner kubota, just had its first 100 hour service, she is a year old in september so we dont rack up the hours like tree guys or landscapers but its in mint condition and will stay like that until the tax has to be kept down and I'll move it on for readies (FU taxman) and start the process again.

Im finding more and more now, with tight sites drainage ends up being a real pig. Shovelling trenches, barrowing etc etc. a micro just fits down a standard back garden gate (side of house) and can get it to site on the iveco without buggering about with a trailer. 

Once its on site (hired is cheap as cheaps)it gets used for all sorts, ive miced a whole jumbo bag of sharp and cement on 2 sheets of osb using it as we had no electric and the petrol mixer on another job. that would have been a ball ache by hand.

It would be interesting to see the depreciation rates doing such low hours. It would have to be pretty good or price per hour used could work out quite expensive- what depreciates a machine quicker- hours or age? I’ve got to the stage where I think I’m better of adding a 3rd machine (5t) to my business-which seems mad as a sole operator but each machine for different jobs as I’d probably put around 350-500 on each machine per year and It’s really not going to cost me to have the other 2 sitting around when not in use.