Wood treatment.

woodwizzard

Got one of those mass produced "log cabins" on the way. 28mm thick planed logs, t&g floor and roof. It all comes untreated. It will be painted at some point, colour not decided yet. I need to get it protected as soon as it's up, any suggestions as to what to use that can be over painted soon after?

1 hour ago, woodwizzard said:

Got one of those mass produced "log cabins" on the way. 28mm thick planed logs, t&g floor and roof. It all comes untreated. It will be painted at some point, colour not decided yet. I need to get it protected as soon as it's up, any suggestions as to what to use that can be over painted soon after?

Clear wood preserver such as Cuprinol or barretine.  Invisible but will protect it to a degree.

I'd go for an obliterating oil rather than a paint. Itll let the wood breathe, keep it protected and is easy to over oil down the line, rather than having to sand old flakey paint off, just give it a wash an Bosh more on.

Hard to bare the thought of but I would consider getting some preserver on all the timber between the t and g /ship lap as water will inevitably seep and and degrade the softwood pretty fast.

14 minutes ago, woodwizzard said:

It's not for me as such, so it will be painted. Something from the Cuprinol garden shades range of paints. The preserver that I already have is solvent based, so not sure if that can be painted over.

Clear Cuprinol soaks in well and can be painted over.   Always test a piece of scrap before you do the whole thing if you are unsure.

Hi Wizard.  I've used this (followed by the OSMO exterior) :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sikagard-universal-5-star-wood-treatment-clear-5ltr/66962

Non solvent, can be overpainted, protects against all the baddies etc.etc.  Treated planks on shed inside and out - hit by all weathers.  That was 8+ years ago and haven't touched it since - nothing bad to report so far !  May give it another go this year when the sun finally arrives.  One word of caution though - its deadly (obviously) to all insect life and fish - it cannot enter the watercourse. 

Personally I'd stay away from anything water based as imo they're all crap... this place does a wide variety of products....

https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/

I can recommend the barrettine premier wood preserver { not the cheap one ] and also their log cabin treatment.....and I'd coat each plank with preserver prior to assembly, cheers.

• Like 1