My first mallet

gobbypunk

Hi I have been using it an d so far so good I haven’t yet given anything a good whomp with  it yeth jit works ace with chisels, Hi Steve what one of those woods you mentioned would you choose for a mallet head 

Cheers Mark 

19 hours ago, Mull said:

Will the fact that it’s greenheart make it ok for use as a mallet? I know the grain is wrong way round, but it’ll still be pretty solid!
( obviously it’s cracked so is buggered anyway)

the fact that the grain in greenheart is so well interlocked may mean that it will be absolutely fine but only time will tell. if gobby whacks something with it and it cracks in two then i will not be surprised.

17 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi I have been using it an d so far so good I haven’t yet given anything a good whomp with  it yeth jit works ace with chisels, Hi Steve what one of those woods you mentioned would you choose for a mallet head 

Cheers Mark 

depends what colour you want it i suppose mark.

cumaru is a lovely timber to use for mallets.

varies from brown to orange.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/cumaru.htm

14 hours ago, se7enthdevil said:

the fact that the grain in greenheart is so well interlocked may mean that it will be absolutely fine but only time will tell. if gobby whacks something with it and it cracks in two then i will not be surprised.

...... Long as it ain't his leg ? k

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi k bloody right there I have had enough accidents , Hi Steve what would the orientation be with the grain would it give me a longer face , like the picture you posted if you get what I mean 

the grain goes down the length so effectively you could have a 5"+ square head at 8 or 9" long if you wish.

i might be going down the container later so will try to yank a bit out. they are somewhat buried.

3 hours ago, Bogoak said:

Hell, I’ve lost some time looking at that website; what a fantastic resource. Thanks for posting.

it's quite good isn't it. annoyingly he won't expand the timbers much more now as he says it's just for the americans which i find rather narrow minded but each to their own.

the wood database is a good site too.

i've helped both with the timbers over the years either supplying pictures of timber or finished work like bowls. in the case of the wood database i sent him about 100 samples of timber so he could scan the images for his book and website.