how do you get stumps out?

se7enthdevil

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

When you've seen what it is I have a couple you can borrow and a Hi lift jack to assist if you are mad enough to try it without machines.

damn.

there is not anchorpoint except a smaller tree which would pop out in a jiffy if it were used.

We had a similar sized Ash stump to remove and it needed the JCB 15 ton digger to dig around it but even it could not lift it out as it could not cut the huge roots below the stump.  In the end it was a combination of  15 ton JCB,  17 ton Caterpillar D7 with chain and chainsaw with knackered chain by the end!      Respect for tree!!

Good luck!

38 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

I go to so many jobs where folks have tried digging them out and given up! I've got this one to do next!

Big old London plane! The trunk is about 1m across. Why do people even try to do this?O.o

SG

IMG_20190510_121937.jpg

that's a big one.

this tree we have is above utilities that he would like to inspect to make sure the tree has not damaged them (one reason the tree was felled) but i think we have conceded that we might just have to cut it out as best we can using old crap chains rather than being able to get the whole thing out.

11 hours ago, dumper said:

Use a wheel and tyre dug into a trench with a slot running out to the stump you will pull many tonnes the deeper the trench the more you pull

Used his set-up for winch assisted felling and for excavating roots, with a strop from the deadman anchor so that the winch is above ground.

A rabbit spade is a must, to get in between the roots to clean off soil when you need to use a chainsaw to sever the biggest roots. 

A lot of people fail by not digging enough of a hole around the sump and then struggle by not having enough room to work and get access. For a big stump, start with digging at least two spade widths bigger than the diameter of the stem. Cut/chop each root to the outside of the excavation before chopping the other end as flush as possible  to he stump. If you don't cut  to the stump iself you won't be able to expose the vertical growing roots beneath.

Just keep going until there's no more horizontal roots and then dig beneath the stump (this is why you need a big hole). Sever as many of the vertical roots as possible before bringing the winch into play. When it starts to rock you can normally work out which direction will be the most efficient to pull from - then dig your deadman anchor.  

You will get it out but it's a mental thing.   You'll defeat yourself thinking that it will be out in x hours. It'll come when i does, steady away. I've dug stumps that had to be sawn/split into quarters to be man-handled away - it's how they were done before grinders   

Log-deadman.jpg

48 minutes ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

I go to so many jobs where folks have tried digging them out and given up!

They used to be my favourites. Hole already partly dug and the client realised how much work and effort was involved so appreciated the cost. Used to make some decent coin digging stumps. 

One site two builders had hired a saw and spent two days digging. I quoted a couple of hundred pounds just to get it free. Less than an hour later I was done and paid:thumbup1: