how do you get stumps out?

se7enthdevil

21 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

that's a big one.

this tree we have is above utilities that he would like to inspect to make sure the tree has not damaged them (one reason the tree was felled) but i think we have conceded that we might just have to cut it out as best we can using old crap chains rather than being able to get the whole thing out.

As daft as it sounds, you could use a stump grinder to help you! You are after all only after the main root plate? Use a grinder to cut through all the lateral stumps around the edge which is what is holding it in. There may be a slight tap root but that should pull out vertically. Once the side roots are through you should be able to pull it out with a machine or chain blocks/tirfor winch.

• Like 3

I have seen trees near recently over flowed rivers have all the soil washed away exposing most of the roots, which makes me think would an air hose work blowing the soil away ?...Would it be possible to get an air compressor and hose to blast the soil away to expose all the roots in order to cut them easily? Would it work in wet soil? Stick a gazebo over it to contain the dust?

3 hours ago, Woodlover said:

I have seen trees near recently over flowed rivers have all the soil washed away exposing most of the roots, which makes me think would an air hose work blowing the soil away ?...Would it be possible to get an air compressor and hose to blast the soil away to expose all the roots in order to cut them easily? Would it work in wet soil? Stick a gazebo over it to contain the dust?

It would work better with a jet washer and a slurry pump.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stumpy Grinder said:

It would work better with a jet washer and a slurry pump.

You'd need a settling tank if the slurry pump is expected to carry the soil away, I've not seen an air spade working but would expect it to do well in a sandy soil except for the dust problem.