Something different

I have wanted to try Chain Saw carving for some time but it is difficult to get into if you do not have easy access to big lumps of wood or the room to store or work them ,the tools, equipment to lift and move big lumps of wood are all out of reach to most people like myself.

Then I had an idea...Why not use pallet wood? Glued and screwed together with the screws carefully placed so as to not catch them with the saw (in my dreams).

I got myself a few broken pallets and did this...

It is made from over 270 pieces of wood taken from broken pallets, I knackered my chain fairly quick on a screw or 2...Finished it with Flap Discs after that. It is probably the most difficult thing I have ever made and it is difficult to carve once you get to the screws so you have to place them right from the start. 

stat8.jpg

stat4.jpg

stat3.jpg

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

A true master would have ensured the knots were correctly positioned to form nipples.

Will include knotted nipples and eyes next time , that's a good idea, thanks.

I am hoping to win a competition with this but wont jinx it by saying what comp...at the least I want to somehow promote it to art students ...with this technique of carving statues anything is possible to anyone with not much money and equipment...Easter Island potential chainsaw carvers can now live the dream to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

A true master would have ensured the knots were correctly positioned to form nipples. Must try harder next tems, good effort though ?

joking aside, thats pretty impressive, and very unique.

Your wish...

2019-05-15 07.55.31.jpg

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
27 minutes ago, lhow2000 said:

Beautiful work. 

Mine or the nipples? I just finished mine this morning funny enough after months of nothing, pics above was unfinished rush job for a competition I got no where in...hopefully new pics tomorrow will show it better.