Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Does anyone know of a way of working out the weight of trees, I found one

on the web but convinced it's accurate.

Thanks in advance

So where’s the link, and how is it thought to be accurate?

I’d be very interested in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a simple system.

A cube 10cm each side is a kilo.

Ergo a 60cm log 2m long is about a half ton (green).

I'm always 10-20% under weight.

(Towing)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I use a simple system.

A cube 10cm each side is a kilo.

Ergo a 60cm log 2m long is about a half ton (green).

I'm always 10-20% under weight.

(Towing)

emoji106.png

 

Is that for hard or softwood?

Works out at roughly 28kg per cu/ft.

If hoppus foot is the measurement of what a log is expected to produce taking into account 25% wastage, to work out the weight you'd have to add the 25% back on to get a more accurate figure, Yes!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Forest2Furniture said:

Is that for hard or softwood?

Works out at roughly 28kg per cu/ft.

If hoppus foot is the measurement of what a log is expected to produce taking into account 25% wastage, to work out the weight you'd have to add the 25% back on to get a more accurate figure, Yes!

 

 

With hoppus you just convert at full measure,.and convert per species.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ESS said:

With hoppus you just convert at full measure,.and convert per species.

Yes, about 27Hft/tonne for pine, a bit less for oak and beech and more for sycamore and ash and the other softwoods

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.