Running issues with Husqvarna 346xp

dannytreacy

Hi all,

I’m at a loss with my chainsaw which has always been hassle free. 

The issue is that after cutting about four 8” or so slices it cuts out. On inspecting it I saw that a part of the ignition wiring (black wire) had been worn down due to being rubbed by the flywheel. I replaced the wiring, but no help.

I researched and adjusted the low speed jet but this didn’t seem to help with the issue. So far I have changed the wiring as mentioned and also the fuel filter and spark plug, also removed the spark arrestor. Also replaced the ignition coil module as I thought perhaps it had been damaged by the worn wiring. None of this has had a positive result.

The saw is fine when idling and also fine when revving for a while but after several substantial cuts it cuts out immediately after the last cut. There is also smoke coming out near the muffler area so something is not happy. 

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks. 

Danny. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billpierce said:

Try taking the fuel cap off after it has cut out. If it sucks a bit, or behaves happily for a short while when you do this it may be a tank breather issue.

Is compression good?

This . If that is not it . .....Spud .

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

Try taking the fuel cap off after it has cut out. If it sucks a bit, or behaves happily for a short while when you do this it may be a tank breather issue.

Is compression good?

Thanks for the info, I’ll try this, I don’t have a compression tester unfortunately. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I hope you didn't use an aftermarket coil and don't lob the original. 

These saws do have a few issues and best get it checked out as some of the issues can produce big issues. 

When was it last fully serviced and was it pressure and vac tested? 

I did use an aftermarket coil but I also kept the original as I thought that it most likely wasn’t this but I wanted to check it. 

Its been a few few years since I’ve had it serviced as it has very light seasonal use and I don’t know if it was pressure or vacuum tested.

To be honest the service centre that’s closest to me don’t have my full confidence in their ability to avoid ripping people off, I had bad experiences with them previously so I probably need to find a new place for services. 

47 minutes ago, dannytreacy said:

I did use an aftermarket coil but I also kept the original as I thought that it most likely wasn’t this but I wanted to check it. 

Its been a few few years since I’ve had it serviced as it has very light seasonal use and I don’t know if it was pressure or vacuum tested.

To be honest the service centre that’s closest to me don’t have my full confidence in their ability to avoid ripping people off, I had bad experiences with them previously so I probably need to find a new place for services. 

Just send it to spud . Get him to port it whilst he has it .

• Like 1

You wont really be able to tell what its up by looking at it ( thinknits under carb somewhere, potentially under a plastic plate that fuel line go through, though this may be only on other husqvarnas)
You can check if it's working, by running the saw until it cuts out as you described. Then opening the fuel cap. Is there a suction noise? Does the saw start again and run ok for a few minutes? If yes, then replace the tank vent