Mechanical Devices for SRT

Ok so I usually use a spiderjack 2.1 for DRT and I love it! Particularly the fact that there is absolutely no lag when you sit back into it.

So I'd like to know what the best mechanical would be for SRT to achieve the same effect? I've tried using a VT and rope wrench but want to eliminate that little drop when you sit back!

Edited by Sambo

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you could try a different friction hitch.  The braids of the VT cause it to spread out more than other hitches.

A cheaper option to the mechanicals for SRT, are a couple hitches that are fully functional on a fixed line.

The one on the left is the Oval VT, a 4-2 VT, with an overhand knot replacing the second braid.  The other is the Sticht Hitch, a similar construction, with a tightly constrained twist replacing the overhand.  Both don’t allow the wraps to over tighten, which happens to most other hitches.

Both hitches can adjust the amount of tension in the wraps by moving the carabiner, or ring up or down. 

Firmer rope and cords work best.

The Sticht is the better due to its easier adjustability.

F7E45588-66A8-4D72-8138-2E091596983F.jpeg

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 2

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:45, Brocky said:

Perhaps you could try a different friction hitch.  The braids of the VT cause it to spread out more than other hitches.

A cheaper option to the mechanicals for SRT, are a couple hitches that are fully functional on a fixed line.

The one on the left is the Oval VT, a 4-2 VT, with an overhand knot replacing the second braid.  The other is the Sticht Hitch, a similar construction, with a tightly constrained twist replacing the overhand.  Both don’t allow the wraps to over tighten, which happens to most other hitches.

Both hitches can adjust the amount of tension in the wraps by moving the carabiner, or ring up or down. 

Firmer rope and cords work best.

The Sticht is the better due to its easier adjustability.

F7E45588-66A8-4D72-8138-2E091596983F.jpeg

I like the look of these! What length eye/eye sling do you need? I've just ordered an 8mm/76cm ocean polyester eye/eye to see if that snugs up the system but I'll deffo try these cheers! 

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:32, Treetom15 said:

Tried a friends chicane & ZZ yesterday, by far the smoothest and most controlled setup I’ve used

I need to try the Zig zag again - used to have one at a place I worked at a few years ago but we ran them on 1/2" rope which didn't really work too well. Then they got taken off us as it was around the time they were having problems with the links breaking!

4 hours ago, Sambo said:

I need to try the Zig zag again - used to have one at a place I worked at a few years ago but we ran them on 1/2" rope which didn't really work too well. Then they got taken off us as it was around the time they were having problems with the links breaking!

Luckily I got to try them side by side- I’ve got the “older” ZZ and I run that with a rope wrench with an alloy tether, so it was good to compare that to the new ZZ/chicane combo. As much as it didn’t want to like it (ripping off Kevin Bingham and all) it was a bloody good setup, less friction ascending and very smooth and controlled on decent. Will definitely be investing myself

19 hours ago, Sambo said:

I like the look of these! What length eye/eye sling do you need? I've just ordered an 8mm/76cm ocean polyester eye/eye to see if that snugs up the system but I'll deffo try these cheers! 

The back view of the Sticht on the left is 8mm x 80cm on 11.7 rope, your’s should work, as long as there is enough length to adjust the ring.  The four sections of cord going through the ring need to be as close as possible to help the twist keep slack from the wraps transferring to the legs.  ISC’s small steel ring works great for this.

The Hitch on the left shows a bow shackle replacing the ring. The small accessory cord works great with a neck, or over the shoulder tender, there is very little sit back.

The short double eye straps can be used instead of a pulley for easy hand tending.

A6A06436-4F0E-43C8-91B3-8FFFDFC77E0F.jpeg

• Like 2