Quartersawn Oak price?

Mikesmill

If you are chainsawmilling, I wouldn't go thinner than 41mm just for waste, but otherwise yes. I can't quite see from the photos but are you true quarter sawing it? 
Well, I'm doing it in what it calls the traditional way in this picture, and only considering the middle cuts as quartersawn:quarter-sawn-sml.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mikesmill said:

Well, I'm doing it in what it calls the traditional way in this picture, and only considering the middle cuts as quartersawn:quarter-sawn-sml.jpeg

When we did quartersawn, it was as the left hand side of the log. Presumably that is what you are doing? The reason I ask is that the medullary rays are extremely weak for QS oak. Just odd.

Better to do as the left side of that log. Stand the quarter up and resaw so that every board has a 45 degree beveled edge.

This is the kind of figure I'd expect from QS oak. I knew I had the photo somewhere but it took me a while to find it!

IMG_20130108_123117_0_zpse6206e7c.jpg
  • Like 2

cut as per rh side of image, not all oaks have prominent ray in my experience, some huge trees i have milled  have yielded some very plain QS boards, unlike the ones in the image.These came from a tree 78" dia, cross cut to length, halved then quartered by chainsaw, cut into cants to give board width then milled to required boards.

I always thought that QS meant saw cut was at a greater tangent angle than 45* to growth ring, 

WP_20161011_13_05_41_Pro (2).jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, youcallthatbig said:

cut as per rh side of image, not all oaks have prominent ray in my experience, some huge trees i have milled  have yielded some very plain QS boards, unlike the ones in the image.These came from a tree 78" dia, cross cut to length, halved then quartered by chainsaw, cut into cants to give board width then milled to required boards.

I always thought that QS meant saw cut was at a greater tangent angle than 45* to growth ring, 

WP_20161011_13_05_41_Pro (2).jpg

Outstanding figure there

Originally trees were quarter sawn for stability of boards, so that the growth rings were at 90 degrees or as near as possible to the plane, this cuts down on the board trying to straighten itself. 

However, they discovered that when oak was quarter sawn it also produced highly figured grain.

If you look a the the image se7enthdevil posted that is the true way to quarter sawn but as already has been pointed out it is extremely wasteful way to mill which is why this method is very rarely used in commercial mills, that and it's nigh on impossible to cut other then by hand, they would have been cleaved from the log with a frow.

Edited by Forest2Furniture
  • Like 1