Another Mower Choice Question

Nikos

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 00:23, daveatdave said:

flavour of the month is weibang  but they are quite heavy but do get a lot of praise      

Not from me they don't.  "Quite heavy" is a slight understatement, and getting replacement cables for some models is a mare, (or should I say getting the correct cables is).   They changed the design of some of them (48V), and even though only one or two years old you can't get the original cables, and the new replacements don't fit properly, adjuster in the wrong place, and no adjustment left.   I absolutely hate the bloody things, lol..

• Like 1

Many thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and advice. After a long chat with a very knowledgeable mower dealer, I've decided to repair my Ranger Pro and keep hold of it. He said that modern noise regulations limit engine rev's and blade design such that a modern mower will not be anywhere near as efficient at picking up wet grass and leaves as mine. Also, alloy deck thickness and quality isn't as good any more. However, whilst repairing mine, I found about 5 thou" side play in the crankshaft (flywheel end). Anybody know if that's much to worry about? Runs really well now with no nasty noises so I'm guessing it's OK??

I’m still cutting with a 40 year old Hayter 21 - nothing modern can touch it in longish grass and I’m dreading the day It expires or I can’t source spares. Also using a Danarm (so Honda) which picks up wet grass very well, far better than Hayter 48 and 53 recycling mowers. Even a Mountfield Sp550 is better than the Hayters but not as reliable

• Like 1

How about that ariens razor?

I have a cheapish mountfield with a honda 160c engine doesn't like wet or very thick grass though, but very fuel efficient compared to the older mowers, also self drive is very weak & it blocks easily.

• Like 1