Another Mower Choice Question

Nikos

I have to be honest, I've joined the forum as a domestic garden machinery user for some advice from professionals so I won't be able to offer much in return. However, searching through various posts I've found some invaluable info already. I have a fairly modest half acre garden with an uneven lawn and lots of trees and shrubs. I'm looking to replace my 10 year old Hayter Ranger Pro 53 mower as it's a bit worn and starting to fail. It's been a great mower with good build quality and it will hoover up wet grass and leaves without any problem. Downside is that the B&S engine is always difficult to start when hot and it's a bit on the heavy side. This is what's is important to me in order of preference:

1. Must be good at picking up wet grass without blocking (despite all sorts of abuse, the Hayter never ever blocked!)

2. Direct Hydro-static variable or 3 speed drive, wheels not roller.

3. Not B&S engine, preferably Honda GXV160 but open to suggestions.

4. Reliable with nice build quality 21" cut with blade brake.

5. Big fuel tank and grass bag is a bonus. Not fussed about weight.

All these are probably over the top for my needs but I'm willing to pay for quality.

I have looked at lots of stuff on line but it's difficult to make a choice without having used the mower. These are the mowers that I might be interested in:

Honda HRH 536 HX, Cobra M53HST-Pro, Lawnflight Pro 553HWSP, Orec GRH 537 Pro.

Kaaz, Rover, Hayter and many others are not suitable as they don't have what i need above. I would buy another Hayter but there's no 4 wheel option in the pro range.

Any suggestions would be welcome but I'd be very interested if anyone who has used the Hayter Ranger Pro has also used any of the above to compare.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

Hello and welcome, we use Honda HRX 537 HYE mowers commerciallly, we find them really good mulching mowers, but average collector machines, the mulcher works so well we never use the collection system now. The hydro is good and variable, and we usually get 3 years trouble free use out of a unit being used approx 30 hours a week.  This is our local dealer

http://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product-information/hrx-537-hye-honda

• Like 1

Thanks kkk2. 

I had considered that model but decided against it because of the mulching option which I don’t need. I read that the mulching machines are not as good for collection which I think you’ve confirmed. Impressive reliability though, That would last me years.!

Lawnflite pro 553 High speed. Put a high lift blade on it (£25 ish from L&S engineers) and it will pick up long wet grass all day long and pack the bag until you can barely lift it.

Also a lawnflite orec and cobra pro mowers are all made by Kaaz. There are many rebrands of the Kaaz pro mower they are all very similar.

Edited by Burgess
  • Like 1

There's a Kubota mower too, made by Kaaz. IIRC it is very similar, but slightly different specs (different weight when I looked). So if you had a local Kubota dealer you might be able to see one in the flesh.

• Like 1

Cheers Burgess. I had noticed those three you mention look very similar and priced the same, give or take a few quid, so what you say makes sense. Couldn’t find  a Kazz mower with variable speed which seems strange. I’ll take a look at the Lawnflite. Is the original blade not up to it?? The Orec ad says long wet grass is no problem so maybe it has the high lift blade?

Yes thats right, it also takes the BBC a little longer to engage and probably to stop the turning blade too. But I've had mine for 2 whole seasons (I have the roller version but the blade/BBC is the same). and the clutch is still fine

• Like 1

Hayter is now owned by Toro the Viking range is getting rebranded as stihl they are good at picking up but the reliability was not good but they brought out a pro range that was better. Kazz used to make mowers for Honda the flavour of the month is weibang  but they are quite heavy but do get a lot of praise      

• Like 1