Valtra tractor wanted

9 hours ago, Gardiners Tree Surgery said:

This is the trouble I’m having 

I know my budget won’t stretch to a new one and I’m not vat registered which is a killer. Looking at one on Wilson’s but 13thousand hours puts me off a bit

doesnt have to be a Valtra but that is my personal preference for woodland work.

I spotted that... 13k hours when looking the other day.

also they seem to have had that red newer t131 valtra for ages months!

what price is the 13k hr one? 

I bought a Valtra with Jake crane a few years back for £15k, wasn’t a panel on it that matched and it has 13k hours, best tractor ive owned, Wilson’s are good to deal with, Simon Clingan is always at the other end of a text, last time I needed them for a fault on someone tractor I was driving, I sent Simon a text asking about a warning light, 5 mins later the mechanic that built it called me and solved the problem over the phone.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

I bought a Valtra with Jake crane a few years back for £15k, wasn’t a panel on it that matched and it has 13k hours, best tractor ive owned, Wilson’s are good to deal with, Simon Clingan is always at the other end of a text, last time I needed them for a fault on someone tractor I was driving, I sent Simon a text asking about a warning light, 5 mins later the mechanic that built it called me and solved the problem over the phone.

That may be that you bought the tractor at the right money so could easily sell on again. You seem to buy and sell a lot so must come natural to you larger figure purhases.

to me if im spending 15-30k i want it right. Appearance means a lot as its also a example of previous owner and how they may have kept and maintained the machine.

not many people want high hour tractors within reason.

one always has to think about resale value. Its easy for buyers to comprimise when buying something.... damaged panel, little rattle or noise here or there but to then have to re sell the machine if needed would a prospective buyer comprimise and buy the item off me? Also makes harder to sell.

any questions i ask myself about the purhase of an item will be the same questions someone would ask if i ever came to sell it on. 

I recently viewed a tractor that the dealer said was a good tractor. 

Engine oil below min, same on transmission, auto setting for the power shifts wouldnt work, hub seals leaking, seal to front diff leaking and lots of other costly niggles. Grease round joints rock hard so hasnt seen a. Grease gun for a long while. Also theyd swapped the wheels over which they shouldnt have.

All im sayig is things have to be right when purchasing and be fully working that if needed to sell on you could do. Too many pups sold or advertised as good condition

3 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

That was a great tractor and my first foray into tractor ownership 

wilsons gave me what I gave for that tractor and used it as a deposit for my next one

im on my third tractor and crane combo now and I’ve never seen a single one before I bought it, in fact first time I’ve seen them is when they turn up on the low loader

first tractor had 13k hrs

second had 9k

most recent has got 7k

ive also bought a Massey with 9k hours and my new one has 4k

i wouldn’t be to worried what hours something has 

Dare I suggest, that if a tractor, or other machine, bought from a large reputable firm like Wilson's, and bought to be worked hard for a living from the get-go, while still under warranty, hours and appearance are no odds, it is a product that merely has to function to earn its keep, i.e. little odds about future re-sale value.

It is not bought as an investment, rather a callously depreciated working tool.

mth

• Like 1

8 hours ago, swinny said:

That may be that you bought the tractor at the right money so could easily sell on again. You seem to buy and sell a lot so must come natural to you larger figure purhases.

to me if im spending 15-30k i want it right. Appearance means a lot as its also a example of previous owner and how they may have kept and maintained the machine.

not many people want high hour tractors within reason.

one always has to think about resale value. Its easy for buyers to comprimise when buying something.... damaged panel, little rattle or noise here or there but to then have to re sell the machine if needed would a prospective buyer comprimise and buy the item off me? Also makes harder to sell.

any questions i ask myself about the purhase of an item will be the same questions someone would ask if i ever came to sell it on. 

I recently viewed a tractor that the dealer said was a good tractor. 

Engine oil below min, same on transmission, auto setting for the power shifts wouldnt work, hub seals leaking, seal to front diff leaking and lots of other costly niggles. Grease round joints rock hard so hasnt seen a. Grease gun for a long while. Also theyd swapped the wheels over which they shouldnt have.

All im sayig is things have to be right when purchasing and be fully working that if needed to sell on you could do. Too many pups sold or advertised as good condition

Come naturally!

I started buying my own clothes and shoes from the age of 10 from the cheapest shops I could find after moaning to my mum she never bought me good stuff.

So she gave me the housekeeping allowance for me that she got and told me to get on with it.

Then it was bikes, motorbikes, cars, saws then machinery.

It’s a progression.  I don’t expect anything to work 100%, even brand new, it’s a machine and humans made it and they are lazy and cut corners?

I mentioned the panels being mismatched as an example of things don’t have to be shiny to be good.  Other companies spray paint and shot blast the life out of old kit to polish a turd and then have an aggressive complaint department.

I drove the tractor, had a play round the yard and it was tight.

I do buy and sell a lot of stuff, I never look under the bonnet, I take it a drive and only focus on what it can do for me.

It’s just my way.

To the OP, Wilson’s are good to deal with. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stephen Blair said:

Come naturally!

I started buying my own clothes and shoes from the age of 10 from the cheapest shops I could find after moaning to my mum she never bought me good stuff.

So she gave me the housekeeping allowance for me that she got and told me to get on with it.

Then it was bikes, motorbikes, cars, saws then machinery.

It’s a progression.  I don’t expect anything to work 100%, even brand new, it’s a machine and humans made it and they are lazy and cut corners?

I mentioned the panels being mismatched as an example of things don’t have to be shiny to be good.  Other companies spray paint and shot blast the life out of old kit to polish a turd and then have an aggressive complaint department.

I drove the tractor, had a play round the yard and it was tight.

I do buy and sell a lot of stuff, I never look under the bonnet, I take it a drive and only focus on what it can do for me.

It’s just my way.

To the OP, Wilson’s are good to deal with. 

Don’t look under the bonnet!! Each to their own. I’d personally never buy blind, and when I do view it- i do as much research as possible and write a list of things to look at/check and tooth comb the machine and make by decision based on that. Totally know what you mean by polished turds though- can’t stand it when a dealer has a machine on his forecourt with a brand new lick off paint- usually over half the engine too!

I think most valtras have a legendary ability to clock up huge hours, a local contractor to me has a t130 with 22k on it, always has young lads trashing it with slurry tankers and silage trailers and it's still got all it's original running gear!
I would agree with Stephen that visual appearance bears no resemblance to mechanical performance. I would much rather see an "honest" machine than a freshly painted one. Don't be fooled by small hours either, most clocks can be turned back easily and cheaply. I would look under the bonnet though! (Says the guy who buys most of his gear off pictures on the internet, no horror stories yet either!)
If you keep holding out for a perfect machine you may never get it. Every machine has its quirks and flaws once it reaches a certain age!
I would trust Wilson's too. Decent folk.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Don’t look under the bonnet!! Each to their own. I’d personally never buy blind, and when I do view it- i do as much research as possible and write a list of things to look at/check and tooth comb the machine and make by decision based on that. Totally know what you mean by polished turds though- can’t stand it when a dealer has a machine on his forecourt with a brand new lick off paint- usually over half the engine too!

Ah, the good ol 5 gallon refurb....