Emission targets - should the government be promoting wood burning stoves?

21 minutes ago, axehaircut said:

Fair enough.
Perhaps promote through educating (which has been said previously on Arbtalk many times) beau do you find many of your customers (firewood) resentful(resentful maybe too strong a word) I’m not being funny, I found that the difference between customers attitude in general buying planks and firewood night and day for the most part. Is this because they’re burning what they buy psychologically. I always got a kinda happy comforting feeling out of a nice pile of good firewood.

Sorry, I don't follow. Resentful of what? 

20 hours ago, BowlandStoves said:

The latest trend in politics is saving the environment and reducing emission targets. Should the government be promoting wood burning stoves (modern stoves which are more efficient) or is the rather bizarre current stance justified - lumping stoves in with open fires and ignoring modern stove efficiency ratings.

Interested to hear what people think......

They certainly should be lumping burners together with open fires as they are currently due to the huge difference in efficiency.  Whether they should promote them though I'm not sure.  Wood burners require a little skill to operate, gas and electric require little or no skill.

If you push them out on the general public you will also not be able to supply enough wood and eventually will have to worry about particulate emissions (at least in large towns/cities).

On 10/05/2019 at 08:11, Rob_the_Sparky said:

They certainly should be lumping burners together with open fires as they are currently due to the huge difference in efficiency.  Whether they should promote them though I'm not sure.  Wood burners require a little skill to operate, gas and electric require little or no skill.

If you push them out on the general public you will also not be able to supply enough wood and eventually will have to worry about particulate emissions (at least in large towns/cities).

Disagree.  Eco design stoves only release a maximum of 10% pf the emissions of an open fire.   Many of the new designs coming through like the Charnwood Island 1 only emit 20% of the 2022 max limit,  so thats just 4% of the open fire emissions.   A costly stove for sure but a once in a lifetime purchase if looked after.   

https://www.charnwood.com/sia-ecodesign-ready-stoves-your-questions-answered/

All stoves regardless of how efficient emit particulates. Alycidon mentions a low emission one above, but this is new and state of the art. As such is not representative of what is out there, so regardless of local fuel supply, proper seasoning, best stove practises etc etc etc we are still contributing to emissions so they wont support them.

I say all that as someone producing my own hot water & heating in the winter with a wood burner, albeit an efficient one and have done the whole super-insulation thing to the house so demand is low. My fuel all comes from within a 1/4 mile radius.

These factors combined with the fact that all energy supply has issues mean that I intend to carry on for the time being as is.

• Like 1

The science is settled on global warming, so says Obama, and anyone who questions it is equivalent to a holocaust denier.

The thing about science is that it is never settled and is always open to question.  The theory is only someone's interpretation and is not proven.

Why does warming seem to appear BEFORE high CO2 concentration?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11659-climate-myths-ice-cores-show-co2-increases-lag-behind-temperature-rises-disproving-the-link-to-global-warming/

Why has there been no sea level rise in the low lying Seychelles in the last 60 years?

http://natureseychelles.org/~naturese/component/content/38-news/commentary/391-no-sea-level-rise-around-seychelles-and-zanzibar?Itemid=106

They were predicting at the Millennium that they would be submerged by now, together with the Arctic having no ice at all.

I am with you all on the conservation of energy and non renewables but the whole Man made global warming thing is distorted by politics and desire to scare people for control and to raise taxes.

If you are a scientist who agrees with the man made global warming theory you have money thrown at you, but if you disagree funds are withdrawn so the other side is never heard.

How did the Earth heat up in the past without industrial revolutions?  They were growing grapes in Lincoln in the Roman warm period and there were no V8 chariots as far as I know.

There are enough variables to make any theory as predictable as the weather.

The Earths core is molten lava, there is a huge heat source there, our orbit around the sun is elliptical and influenced by constantly changing variable gravitational pull of the planets and their own different orbits

The sun itself is not constant and energy ebbs and flows from it.

The Earth also has a variable wobble.  The state of the oceans could have a much greater effect on CO2 emissions than human activity let alone deforestation to make ethanol fuels which are meant to be green.

Wood heat is renewable at my place anyway and has a minimal carbon footprint compared to other forms of heat so a lot of the questions I asked above need to be answered before i can be persuaded to change.

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 2

My wood is free and is renewable and local, so my Winter heating is free and I won’t be changing that whatever Michael Gove comes up with.

I am pretty sure my Defender which I run all year puts more particulates into the atmosphere going to and from the woods than my woodburner which is running 6 months of the year does.

• Like 2