Morso stoves - hit or a miss?

We bought 2 Morso stoves back in 1996/1997/1998, a couple of the larger(Panther perhaps?) models, and were and still are impressed with their build quality and longivity under severe prolonged hard use.

We then bought a 3440(Owl) for the garden room, only 2 years ago, visually identical, but smaller then the 1996/1997 ones, and the baffle plate completely burned out over a mere 2 winters, there were other cost cutting measures, a galv ash pan, where the earlier ones were SS, and the most recent stove simply seems lighter made up, too many tinny bits, in below and round the back, so on a subjective level, simply not quite the same feeling of solidity.

I need to source a baffle plate, so I will happily post my progress on this endevour.

P.S.

I get the impression Morso was either bought out by a venture capital type outfit, and then "milked" for all the brand was worth, or there was a(generational perhaps?) change in management and simple cost cutting measures were put in place.

Marcus

• Like 1

Think this would be better addressed to Morso dealers privately,  I am such a dealer.

Fabulous products but the company is very slow to react to market changes but they have always been that way.   

Woodworks  mentioned an issue with a Squirrel saying it was not state of the art combustion wise,  Squirrel was launched in 1950, at that time it was state of the art,  the first stove in the world with an air sweep glass,  first one you could use without a glove.   It has outsold everything in Europe in total since its launch.  Parts for a 1950 built model ( and they do last 40 years plus if looked after) are exactly the same as the parts fitted in one being made today.  Most stove manufacturers say parts are only available for 10 years after the stove has gone out of production,  some have a very poor parts back up.  Most Squirrel models are not 2022 compliant so I expect they will now have to be phased out with the possible exception of 1412.

The two new models 4412 and 2850 have magnetic closing doors, another first I believe,  lovely stoves, 4412 is selling well.   

In 10 years selling all Morso products I have never sold an ash pan, and only sell an odd firebrick and baffle plate.   Morso Baffle plates  on the older models tend to be cast iron,  these can and do warp due to the temperatures generated,  my own Panther at home needs a new baffle every 5 years and maybe 5000 hours use.   I view this as a consumable item.   Many of the new models have baffle plates built from Vermiculite board.

With regard to who owns it,  who knows,  none of the directors are British and they do change fairly often.   I have though noticed a decline in the cash in the P&L account over the last two years so there might be something in difflocks comments or it may just be a change in senior management style.

A

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 09/05/2019 at 13:06, difflock said:

We bought 2 Morso stoves back in 1996/1997/1998, a couple of the larger(Panther perhaps?) models, and were and still are impressed with their build quality and longivity under severe prolonged hard use.

We then bought a 3440(Owl) for the garden room, only 2 years ago, visually identical, but smaller then the 1996/1997 ones, and the baffle plate completely burned out over a mere 2 winters, there were other cost cutting measures, a galv ash pan, where the earlier ones were SS, and the most recent stove simply seems lighter made up, too many tinny bits, in below and round the back, so on a subjective level, simply not quite the same feeling of solidity.

I need to source a baffle plate, so I will happily post my progress on this endevour.

P.S.

I get the impression Morso was either bought out by a venture capital type outfit, and then "milked" for all the brand was worth, or there was a(generational perhaps?) change in management and simple cost cutting measures were put in place.

Marcus

Remember my conclusions above  .  .  .

The 3 year old Morso has already got a crack in the Cast Iron top plate, adjacent to the flue, noticed last night.

Unlike the 1997 Panther it has never been overfired, nor has had the flue pipe glowing dull cherry red(and more than once two) like the 1997 model suffered at my hands.

It has only been fed clean conifer, and indeed, due to the emissions air injection crap, the firebox is relatively restricted, compared to the 1997 model.

The 1997 Panther did not crack despite my blatent overfiring.

But the poxy 3 year old one has.

CONCLUSION

Modern Morso's are CRAP, compared to the stuff from 20+ years ago.

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Completely disagree. This is exactly the place where build quality issues with a manufacturer are addressed. 

I will also be contacting Morso(e), though since we bought the stove "cash and carry" as part of a stock clearance deal BUT from a as far as we were aware an official local Morso dealer.

I see no point in persuing this local well known/and reputable dealer(who in honesty would not give a fig anyway)

cheers

mth

edit

I emailed the Morso UK importers, in so far as I could establish.

I should prob have phoned as well!

Edited by difflock

I stand by my comments,  I dont have any warranty issues with Morso stoves, never have either.  If I did then I would be highly disapointed but I know that Morso UK would be right on top of the case.   

Most if not all of the on line retailers are not Morso UK distributors,  therefore Morso UK will not want to know about them beyond the legal 12 month warranty period.  Why should they as they have not sold them,    remember its the retailer who supplied the product who is legally liable for the warranty aspects on any product all be it with the source of supply support.  Frequently this is a Morso dealer in eastern Europe.  Hence I recommend that anybody wanting to buy a Morso ( or any other brand for that matter) uses their local approved dealer.

A

• Like 1