Excavator Thumb

Puffster

My usual method of clearing woodland/copses before reading this forum was the ecky-thump grunt approach, where armed with a chainsaw, a hook and a can of spinach I would approach the task with gusto but as I'm sure you all know, its hard work. I now have a mini-digger and before I wade in to clear my next 1/3 acre was thinking about adding an excavator thumb to the arm. Whilst looking for suitable versions, I see they do hydraulic ones as well for not much more. 

Which one is best? Does the hydraulic one add much more versatility? Any recommendations for ones suitable for a 1.2t digger?

The best way to decide which is best for you would be to watch reviews on both and make your mind up they both have ups and downs to them fixed ones are really awkward but really strong and good grip where as hydraulic are really handy to use but don't have as much grip due to pressure ect is 1.2ton big enough or is is just scrub and brash you use it for? 

Jack 

1.2 is what I've got and I cannot justify bigger but anything is an improvement on grunt work I reckon. I got the digger for drainage work originally but the land has a lot of over-grown hedge that has spread out everywhere. Max 10" diameter on the biggest trunks/branches but the rest has essentially just been spreading for the last 35 years, so grows big, falls over, sprouts/roots/shoots rinse/repeat.

So I chop it down, remove/sort the smaller branches for chipping and keep/stack the bigger ones for firewood.

• Like 1

Would you not be better with a grab. Nothing fancy just a fixed braced grab like this one I have on my 3 tonner. I’ve nevet used a thumb on something as small as 1.2t but I’d imagine becasue the dipper arm is so small it might be hard to get a thumb on without it easily folding back and/or fouling on the main lift ram? Grapple are great for scrub and brash- grubbing roots all sorts...

2D62B37A-6A94-48B0-8DC9-D57055D26032.jpeg

Kind of- although that one you linked seems far too cheap- can’t see how they can put anything together worth having for that money- perhaps Chinese job with poor quality metal- with bend easier than lead!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/excavator-grapple-log-waste-scrap-grab-suit-360-diggers-and-backhoe-new-pins-inc-/181046126928?nav=SEARCH

I’ve had the 3 ton version of this for 5 years- absolutely abused to death grappling with granite boulders far too big for it! Honestly it’s hardly worn at all- well worth the money..

I'm sure grabs/grapples, and hydraulic thumbs are great, and much better. No brainer if you're handling lots of timber.

But a mechanical thumb is such a simple versatile bit of kit.

I've got the Digbits one, which is wider than some, I'd already seen them at work on my friends machines

https://www.digbits.co.uk/grip-talon.html

Advantage with it aswell is you can fold it back out the way and continue digging with the bucket.

I mounted my grapple from my 1.7 to my 1.2t (via the quick hitch) and it's perfectly functional. Lifted three oak sleepers with it. I've yet to use it on a narrow access job but it's ready. Thumbs are just so pig awkward compared to a proper grapple. What make is your 1.2t?

That Kelfri looks value for money. Not the best grapple design but still way better (and cheaper!!) than a thumb. But I think the stars would have to align for it to fit your particular machine with no modifications.

I gave £450 for this grapple seven years ago. Everyone told me to spend more, I'd only bend it etc. It's made me tens of thousands and I've only bent it slightly once- easily fixed. I think if you go for a Digbits one or similar you won't be disappointed. So much better than a thumb. If you're buying it for woodland clearance it's a no brainer compared to a thumb.

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 07.51.12.png

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Possibly- someone I know brought that grab you linked to for his 6 tonner- he bent it on first use- the whole thing was misaligned- surprising as it looks well built- but those cross bars between the tines are not strong enough and bent too. I don’t what steel RSL uses but the thing is indestructible.