SLUGS

sime42

Coming into the house. Quite often when I go downstairs in the morning I notice slime trails all over the place. It's happened previous years, normally around this time I think. Lounge, kitchen, downstairs toilet. We can put up with them leaving trails on the floor, but it's getting quite rank when they're in food cupboards and on the worktops and chopping board.

Anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

I looked around but can't find anywhere obvious that they're getting in. I thought maybe the airbricks to ventilate the floor so put slug pellets around these outside but no improvement.

I hate the foul things! It's bad enough that they try to eat all our garden produce, now they're after our food in the house as well.

Not nice. Used to live in an old farmhouse that this was a common thing. Never fun going downstairs in the middle of the night and having one squish between the toes. Never worked out where they got in. Tried tracing the trails but they seem to be able to cover their tracks.  Good luck maybe a house duck :lol:

• Like 1

Buggered if I'm going to leave the heating on all night just to keep them at bay. I'm not spending money on the dirty little blighters. Thanks anyway for the idea Dan. The copper tape idea on the other hand is a very good one. I use copper in the garden and it works a treat. Out there though I make my own copper rings out of cut and flattened plumbing pipe, much cheaper and sturdier, lasts forever.

14 hours ago, sime42 said:

Coming into the house. Quite often when I go downstairs in the morning I notice slime trails all over the place. It's happened previous years, normally around this time I think. Lounge, kitchen, downstairs toilet. We can put up with them leaving trails on the floor, but it's getting quite rank when they're in food cupboards and on the worktops and chopping board.

Anyone else experienced this? Any solutions?

I looked around but can't find anywhere obvious that they're getting in. I thought maybe the airbricks to ventilate the floor so put slug pellets around these outside but no improvement.

I hate the foul things! It's bad enough that they try to eat all our garden produce, now they're after our food in the house as well.

Slugs and snails really like glass as a way of moving about along with other smooth surfaces. Windows are all at risk of being used particularly after night falls.  You may try torch hunting and track them from outside or catch them on the cusp of getting in. If your place is sealed then they must be sedentary and be inside in the day only showing at night. Its a myth that surfaces need to be wet for them to move about , I get them across a dry concrete floor making there way to dry food for the cat. Keep looking /removing what you find and im sure you will hit upon there favored rout about.