Im new to the business and never climbed before. I really need advice

jorgon1022

4 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Have you not seen Human on YouTube? Just like what your describing and the best thing with Corey is any mistakes he makes he shows doesn't edit them out 

Jack 

Yeah I follow him too, not my favorite, due the the hammer and sickle tattoo on his arm. But fair dues, he does put it all out there. The broken TIP = broken pelvis episode was an eye opener!

8 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Yeah I follow him too, not my favorite, due the the hammer and sickle tattoo on his arm. But fair dues, he does put it all out there. The broken TIP = broken pelvis episode was an eye opener!

Tbh I've just Googled hammer and sickle as I didn't ever notice it or even know what it means and all it says is soviet communism so still clueless tbf and yeah the rigging one opened my eyes when he cut the huge limb an  it just tapped him rather than crush him ? 

Jack

3 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

“Safety is my top priority” 

That ‘Human’ guy is an object lesson in why you shouldn’t just go for it.

Yeah but "Human" is a head-the-ball. He did time for threatening staff at a convenience store with a shotgun, because he was 'depressed'....in short, the guy has issues, bless him. The fact that the OP is enrolled for extensive training tells me he's starting with an attitude of caution. As he said, there are very few arborists around his area, so realistically going it along might be his only option..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Yeah but "Human" is a head-the-ball. He did time for threatening staff at a convenience store with a shotgun, because he was 'depressed'....in short, the guy has issues, bless him. The fact that the OP is enrolled for extensive training tells me he's starting with an attitude of caution. As he said, there are very few arborists around his area, so realistically going it along might be his only option..

Did not know that about yer man.

Fair point about the op taking training.

Aside from all of the very justified safety concerns, without any experience it's also very likely you'll do a bad job of pruning work. When it comes to older, more significant trees there's a great deal you can do wrong. And with smaller, younger trees there's the potential to wreck them before they ever reach maturity. 

There's a lot more to tree work than the manual side of things, there's so much to learn about tree biomechanics, growth patterns, fungal interactions... I'd invest in some books.

And get climbers in while you're learning.

• Like 2

You guys here are much much nicer than the folks at TreeBuzz. They are all grilling me and telling me that I shouldnt get into this industry and that a 3 day course wont do anything for me. 

They are saying that I am going to end up killing myself and that Im an idiot for even trying. I dont know if many of them are just offended or if what I am doing is really a mistake. 

I have no issues documenting everything but based off everything they have told me I am super discouraged at the moment. Any thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, jorgon1022 said:

You guys here are much much nicer than the folks at TreeBuzz. They are all grilling me and telling me that I shouldnt get into this industry and that a 3 day course wont do anything for me. 

They are saying that I am going to end up killing myself and that Im an idiot for even trying. I dont know if many of them are just offended or if what I am doing is really a mistake. 

I have no issues documenting everything but based off everything they have told me I am super discouraged at the moment. Any thoughts on this?

Every one has got to start some where , they did .  Give the 3 day course a try . What have you to loose  ?  For some reason some people like to see others fail . I find this in the world of women and horses .  Not every one but some .  I prefer to encourage people .

• Like 1

Just had a look at treebuzz.
It's American...

Jorgon, if you want to do it, you will.
Just get a decent trainer.
Get a job in arb to get a real taste.
Best of luck
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1