Im new to the business and never climbed before. I really need advice

jorgon1022

I think im probably going to get hammered for this, but I figured I would post here since I need advice. I started my own business this year and have a few jobs lined up starting in June. The bad thing about this? I have never climbed before.

In fact, I majored in Business, got a job in IT and make roughly 75k a year. 

I worked as a groundsmen when I was 18 for 2 years for a contractor Arborist. I am 30 now so I dont know if those 2 years count for anything.

However, the good news is that I am getting trained by the best people in the USA. I have a climbing course that is offered by WesSpur that I am taking next week in Snowhomish Washington. This year, I also plan to take a rigging course.

My biggest fear however is delivering on the jobs that I have lined up in June. Safety is my top priority. Am I way in over my head with getting into this industry without experience? 

I know people that outright started their business with no experience and they did just fine but I am scared and nervous. 

Do you guys have any advice? I wish I didnt have to climb, but its incredibly hard finding arborists here in my area (Boise Idaho). Looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet, get some climbing training and get thrown into the water.

Welcome! Be prepared to hire bucket trucks, spider lifts etc. For the jobs you don't feel up to climbing yet. Use every trick and crutch at your disposal, buy Bereneck's Fundamentals Of General Tree Work PDF at Educated Climber. Slow down and think, it's easy to get tunell vision in the tree and forget stuff you learned - you can get on a single track of how to proceed, and not notice other options, if you know what I mean, at least that happens to me.

• Like 1

You did groundsmen work a long time ago what makes you think that you can climb trees and have taken work on in June good luck if it works but you are 30 now will you body take it and make you anywhere near 75 grand a year all the best

• Like 1

Have you thought about working for a professional arborist?
For several years full time so you have an idea what you're doing?
It's a dangerous profession to just walk in without any experience.

Training courses are just the start of being a beginner.
I started at 30,
It's physically hard.
Like 8-12 hours in the gym.
Every day.
Whatever the weather.
With a mechanical light sabre.

Best job I've ever had.
Love every day. (Nearly)

Stay safe, go slow.

[emoji12][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomo567 said:

You did groundsmen work a long time ago what makes you think that you can climb trees and have taken work on in June good luck if it works but you are 30 now will you body take it and make you anywhere near 75 grand a year all the best

Thanks for the response. 

The goal is to not climb for the rest of my life. I want to work on scaling my business and hiring pro climbers. 

If youre not up for climbing or happier on the ground then see if you can hire someone in who is good at that job. Like someone said earlier. You have got skills for running business. So get someone in who has the necessary skills. Like hiring the right bit of kit to make the job easier.

• Like 1

You could also vlog your progress week by week, take a go-pro along with you etc, and become a Youtube star like Reg Coats, Hunicke, Billy Ray etc? I'd quite like to watch "The Rake's Progress" as it were, a total greenhorn learning the ropes more or less on his own. I think it would make brilliant content!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

You could also vlog your progress week by week, take a go-pro along with you etc, and become a Youtube star like Reg Coats, Hunicke, Billy Ray etc? I'd quite like to watch "The Rake's Progress" as it were, a total greenhorn learning the ropes more or less on his own. I think it would make brilliant content!

Have you not seen Human on YouTube? Just like what your describing and the best thing with Corey is any mistakes he makes he shows doesn't edit them out 

Jack