Birds/Nests

WesD

20 hours ago, openspaceman said:

You plainly have little experience of female  personal products, what you refer to are not the same as tampons but are pads.  Being the sole male in a household of females one gets to understand these things, as well as coming across what looks like a decapitated mouse in the toilet bowl every now and then.

oh yes pads -lol   ive got 2 woman in the house I should no better

3 hours ago, Chessa said:

Sat outside the pub on the wall yesterday evening...and I heard a triumphant screech...The Swifts are back, the Swifts are back, the Swifts are back!!! 12th May 2019 in the Hope Valley, Derbyshire.

The day after, as I'm hanging off a rusting balcony, cutting ivy and pyracanthas (grr) as it tumbles chaotically over a red brick walled garden in Sheffield, there are even more Swifts - cutting racing lines like crazy whipped up vapour trails; all a'joyed with fresh insects buzzing around in the hot, bright sun.

Makes me just feel like starting life all over again...

A poem about Swifts by Ted Hughes

https://www.racingtheswift.com/cycling-africa/swifts-ted-hughes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chessa said:

Sat outside the pub on the wall yesterday evening...and I heard a triumphant screech...The Swifts are back, the Swifts are back, the Swifts are back!!! 12th May 2019 in the Hope Valley, Derbyshire.

The day after, as I'm hanging off a rusting balcony, cutting ivy and pyracanthas (grr) as it tumbles chaotically over a red brick walled garden in Sheffield, there are even more Swifts - cutting racing lines like crazy whipped up vapour trails; all a'joyed with fresh insects buzzing around in the hot, bright sun.

Makes me just feel like starting life all over again...

Saw my first swift yesterday in the village, that means all four are back now (Sand Martins, House Martins, Swallows and Swifts) thank you hirundines

When we built the house back in 1996, we had House Martins move in immediately, for a few years, then they simply did not return, yesterday for the first time I saw a pair investigating one of the favoured West facing peaks, fingers crossed they are here to stay.

The Swallows, (and I never could tell the difference between them and Swifts), have been in residence, in numbers, since the couple of sheds were built.

Regardless of particular species, it is a pure pleasure to watch them feeding over the pond.

I must try and spot the bats again, they are certainly about.

cheers

mth

I’ve got a couple of bird boxes on my property.

Noticed a pair of Tits (no ideas what sort) in and out.  Hope they stay.

We also have red squirrells shacked up somewhere in the eaves.  I see them up and down the walls and then onto the roof.  As for where the drey is I dont know.

I live in Norway and there are loads of reds here in the woodland next to my house.  I should get an air rifle and pop them but can’t get over the fact in the UK they are so rare compared to the American Grey.

Cut as they are I dont want them living in my roof/house.

12 hours ago, difflock said:

When we built the house back in 1996, we had House Martins move in immediately, for a few years, then they simply did not return, yesterday for the first time I saw a pair investigating one of the favoured West facing peaks, fingers crossed they are here to stay.

The Swallows, (and I never could tell the difference between them and Swifts), have been in residence, in numbers, since the couple of sheds were built.

Regardless of particular species, it is a pure pleasure to watch them feeding over the pond.

I must try and spot the bats again, they are certainly about.

cheers

mth

Swallows will nest inside a building, martins only under the eaves. Once you know the difference, separating them in flight is easy.

Swifts, bigger, faster, higher,  shaped like a crescent.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2