Birds/Nests

WesD

Abso-bloody-lutely.

I’ve got 10 nest boxes in my garden ranging from tit boxes to mostly natural hollow logs of various types and aperture sizes.

i usually get a minimum of 75% uptake but thus far i’ve nothing nesting anywhere that I’ve noticed . 

I thought it was just me .

Slightly worrying indeed . 

Got a good number of nest boxes in the garden and we have blue tits in one but also have a couple of blackbird nests in our cordyline and the ivy around an oil tank. We do spend a bit on bird food and it pays off, even have a pair of firecrests visiting regularly and a stonechat - not so common where we are!

• Like 1

Plently of black birds around seems less swallows though.

Also I think just less birds around generally.

Alot of  once "common" birds have being decreasing for yrs.

The following lists percentage declines of some bird species recorded in the Common Bird Census between 1970 and 1999:

• Tree sparrow  -95 per cent
  • Corn bunting  -88 per cent
  • Willow tit  -78 per cent
  • Spotted flycatcher -77 per cent
  • Woodcock  -74 per cent
  • Starling  -71 per cent
  • Turtle dove  -71 per cent
  • Song thrush  -56 per cent
  • Bullfinch  -53 per cent 
  • Skylark  -52 per cent
  • Cuckoo  -33 per cent

Read more at https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/where-have-all-the-birds-gone/is-the-number-of-birds-in-decline/#R75aCz63xmDeQasT.99

11 hours ago, spudulike said:

Got a good number of nest boxes in the garden and we have blue tits in one but also have a couple of blackbird nests in our cordyline and the ivy around an oil tank. We do spend a bit on bird food and it pays off, even have a pair of firecrests visiting regularly and a stonechat - not so common where we are!

I have a hawthorn and holly hedge that 20 years ago was alive with house sparrows at this time of year. The feeders attracted siskin and gold finches as well as coal, great, long tailed  and blue tits. The sparrows nested in the eaves and blue tits in any old pipe I left around. Now zilch. Blue tits still visit and the robins still collect mealy worms  but AFAICS no nests in the garden, no sign of sparrows, siskin or goldfinch.

Both neighbours have got cats in the last 2 years but I don't think that is the sole reason for the demise of songbirds in my garden.

We have been visited by a thrush this year and I saw the first black cap once a month ago.

Likewise - almost exactly.  I haven't seen a  goldfinch, greenfinch or siskin in years now.  We've never had house sparrows but even the handful of hedge sparrows that were here have gone.

We barely even see or hear Greater Spotted Woodpeckers; we used to watch them feeding a fledgling every year but not for the last three or four.

Over the last 10 years I'd say total bird numbers here are down 60% at least. As for species numbers I'd say 75% down.  There are just so few about of any species; even the magpies and jays are down this year.

• Like 1

Loads of hedge / house sparrows as usual this year, maybe more, even bought a extra and bigger bird bath for them! (Little sods are nesting in my roof/ridge) Theres noticeably less crows hanging round the houses and gardens this year, but i’d say an increase of them along the wood/river at work?! Definitely less swallows at work this year in and around the buildings. Fewer starlings about too. We put feed out for the birds, so get the usual including tits, blackbirds, pigeons etc and do attract the odd pair of goldfinch.
Another strange one this year i’ve seen is a big increase on seagulls overhead, they congregate on a couple of house roofs in particular on the estate, thankfully not mine, as they leave a right mess!
This year i’ve seen four kingfishers up to now in total whilst out along the rivers. Not seen any for years so a real pleasure to see and watch.

• Like 1