Work suddenly went quiet

tonytree

The outfits that are flexible and do a good mix of commercial and domestic plus a bit of "this and that garden wise" will survive better than the newbies who have only just picked up a bit of easy domestic straight out of the pandemic where everyone had money to spend.

We are in for a rough ride and it is time to batten down the hatches!

• Like 2

Ash die back is keeping the industry much busier than usual , it is a tragedy losing so many of them though !!!   Also the industry is much more mechanised nowadays so a good team with kit scoff the work faster than ever before . There is plenty of work but getting a share is more competitive than ever , and keeping reasonable profit harder still ....

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 18/05/2022 at 19:47, spudulike said:

The outfits that are flexible and do a good mix of commercial and domestic plus a bit of "this and that garden wise" will survive better than the newbies who have only just picked up a bit of easy domestic straight out of the pandemic where everyone had money to spend.

We are in for a rough ride and it is time to batten down the hatches!

Flexible is my middle name. It's gonna hurt to let lads go but if it comes to it that's what it'll be, my machinery makes the most money and paying the finance on that will be the priority.

I'm seeing used kit prices start to drop from their giddy post Covid heights.

• Like 1

Had a bit of a nightmare recently. Was a little quite then really busy and last week I have had 2 weeks worth of work cancelled by separate customers mainly due to the cost of living and I hate to say it but our travelling friends. The issue I have found recently is that people are being more careful with their money and if I quote £750+Vat for a days work with 3 of us and some door knocker says they will do it for £500 all in then what chance have the company’s who go by the book got? I am not too stressed because we have commercial work which keeps us busy but I have had to let a couple of the lads go and am just doing 3 or 4 day weeks for the next month. I’m using the spare time to get on top paper work and have been working on a coffee table out of some black walnut I to down 3 years back so have go plenty to do but I do think if work doesn’t pick up soon I might have to jump back on a couple of subbie climbing days with a few old firms I used to work for. Not the end of the world but I’ve done 3 big climbs this week and I’m not sure my body can take it as much as it used to. Spoke to a few other people in the industry I have worked for and it seems it’s the same everywhere at the moment.
Fingers crossed it picked up on the plus side the LA’s are getting my applications through pretty quickly at the moment so July is already starting to look good.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

Had a bit of a nightmare recently. Was a little quite then really busy and last week I have had 2 weeks worth of work cancelled by separate customers mainly due to the cost of living and I hate to say it but our travelling friends. The issue I have found recently is that people are being more careful with their money and if I quote £750+Vat for a days work with 3 of us and some door knocker says they will do it for £500 all in then what chance have the company’s who go by the book got? I am not too stressed because we have commercial work which keeps us busy but I have had to let a couple of the lads go and am just doing 3 or 4 day weeks for the next month. I’m using the spare time to get on top paper work and have been working on a coffee table out of some black walnut I to down 3 years back so have go plenty to do but I do think if work doesn’t pick up soon I might have to jump back on a couple of subbie climbing days with a few old firms I used to work for. Not the end of the world but I’ve done 3 big climbs this week and I’m not sure my body can take it as much as it used to. Spoke to a few other people in the industry I have worked for and it seems it’s the same everywhere at the moment.
Fingers crossed it picked up on the plus side the LA’s are getting my applications through pretty quickly at the moment so July is already starting to look good.

Hate to say it mate, but if you are getting quiet then so will the firms you hope to sub to. 

• Like 2