Work suddenly went quiet

tonytree

As title suggests has anyone else found this?

Last month I was booked up for the month, now I’ve only got a few days here and there.

The only reason I can think of is bird nesting but I’ve usually got a week or two in advance.

• Like 2

Few people have said to me lately they are exceptionally quiet. Not sure what the answer is really. Typically you'd expect the phones to start ringing this time of year. No doubt the political uncertainty over brexit is making some people cautious of spending money

• Like 1

It’s been a really odd and quite year for me. Had a couple of big sites in January and now nothing. I’ve dropped down to myself and one other lad and still fine we are doing yard days (the log store it filled and all equipment is up together). Getting a bit worried now. I’m guessing Brexit may have something to do with it as I always seem to go quite around a general election as well. Keeping my fingers crossed it will pick up and putting a bit of money in to advertising. I looked back at this time last year and even though I was doing a couple of subbie climbing days I was doing 7 day weeks [emoji848]. I have had a few more calls this week though.

I have found a real drop off in work the last two years.

I went from running a 3 man team Inc myself with a fourth person part-time flat out with two months of work booked up, to having to go out as sub contract climber last Spring just to fill my weeks.

Since then I have downsized to myself plus one and work four days a week which does let me have some quality time to be with the kids.

The one thing I have found with the change is I might not turnover the same amount but do get paid more per hour then I did when I had staff.

I do think there is a real slowdown in work at present but hopefully things will pickup soon.

Over this past 2 or 3 weeks I’ve had players in the tree business who’ve been in contact one way or another and all are at a loss to know why the phone messages and emails have stopped .
As Steve mentioned earlier Brexit uncertainty seems to be the common denominator but who knows. But one thing is certain, the invitations to quote have fizzled out to a mere trickle.