Low Impact Forestry Ltd, covering North Yorkshire and the North East

IronMike

10 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Thanks @Big J

I thought the older ones were 35hp?

Apparently theres different pumps or something now to compensate for the smaller hp.

the 400's are estimated to be 22% slower, 315s are walking pace.

Id normally always go for power, but the only real complaint a LB owner had was the speed. But perhaps he was covering long distances?? 

It's a tough call.

You don't have challenging terrain there at all, but lumps and bumps, rocks and such like can be difficult. One little obstacle like that can actually be worse than a steady climb.

One option is the other drive configuration. The more common system in the UK is serial drive, so all four wheels on one side are effectively locked together. This means you have permanent 8 wheel drive and it's tough to spin out, as you'd need to lose traction on one complete side. I had parallel drive on mine, so each bogie was individually piped, meaning that if you lost traction on one pair of wheels, you'd come to a stop. This obviously limits traction to an extent, but I fitted a flow divider to mine, so I could effectively 'diff lock' the opposing pair of wheels. This eliminated 90% of the traction issues.

What the parallel drive system has though is 4 wheel drive mode, where all drive went through the front wheels, which increased the speed to about 14km/h. 

The drive motors on mine were of differing sizes, so the front motors were slightly bigger than the back, meaning that it was front drive biased. This isn't a great idea as generally you need even amounts of drive front and back, and if anything, you want more drive on the back as the traction issues are almost always when you're fully loaded, and the weight will be largely over the back wheels. 

Give me a shout if you want to talk through any of it. I spent a long time fiddling the drive system on mine, and I've experience now of different drive systems on the Komatsu and Vimek.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you’re bored and have 45 mins to kill, you can listen to me waffle on about Low Impact Forestry and the mighty Logbullet. Big thanks to Tom at All Things Arb for having me on for a chin wag!

POD.CO

Listen to your favourite writers, thinkers, and experts in the world of arboriculture & forestry. As we dig deep on the...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/04/2021 at 17:12, IronMike said:

If you’re bored and have 45 mins to kill, you can listen to me waffle on about Low Impact Forestry and the mighty Logbullet. Big thanks to Tom at All Things Arb for having me on for a chin wag!

POD.CO

Listen to your favourite writers, thinkers, and experts in the world of arboriculture & forestry. As we dig deep on the...

Good interview Mike, shame about the unhealthy love of Husky chainsaws

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Little update!

Mega busy at Low Impact Forestry these days. Variety of work, but predominantly Ash extraction due to ADB works. Working for the Woodland Trust on some beautiful sites where access is tight, and preservation of ambience etc is paramount over production. Been tidying up after other contractors mainly for them, but hopefully starting some sites soon where we will be doing felling and extraction. 

Had a few breakdowns too (machine that is, not me but its been close a few times!) But overall the machine is going great. Nearly 1100 hours now and 26 months of ownership.

20210702_155230.jpg

20210702_132546.jpg

20210623_124036.jpg

20210622_135226.jpg

20210616_153243.jpg

20210611_124306.jpg

20210604_110337.jpg

20210527_160404.jpg

20210518_085215.jpg

IMG_20210430_194512.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 months later...