Low Impact Forestry Ltd, covering North Yorkshire and the North East

IronMike

Hi Pete.

I guess I just fancied something different really, and I had been looking at Big J’s new venture and really liked it. There was a gap in the market locally for a compact forwarder and I knew there was work to be had, so after some research and deliberations I opted for the Logbullet.

Price was a fairly major factor, and it was very reasonable in comparison to others on the market. I did a bit of research into alpine tractor and trailer but thought the Logbullet would be much more efficient overall. 

• Like 1

Out of interest how do these machines stack up against tractor based forwarding? Are they viable on piece rate lowland estate work (predominately hardwood thins and clear fell). Currently battling a very wet autumn and a wood with very poor extraction routes. Basically earth  on top of the natural layer of limestone as Natural England are sniffy about putting any stone inside the gate. Something really light would be great but would need to cut it on piece rate to get any work. 

Any thoughts you users could share? 

20 hours ago, Big J said:

They are just a lot more productive and capable than a tractor based set up.

There not that more productive, on a site not long since with a small purpose built forwarder and my old battered outfit and there was only about 5 tonne difference at the end of a 10 hr shift, but there is one thing that comes to mind is the opperator expierence the guy on the purpose built forwarder had only been on it for about 6 months and he addmited he was still learning, but the purpose built forwarder only has one use as my tractor has several roles, 2 days after extracting, trailer unhitched of my tractor and winch fitted on, 5 days winching then another 2 days extracting, then week after topping a horse paddock off and moving shit with tipping trailer, so i think its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other on this issue, but thats my view,,

IMG_0216.JPG

20180919_161215.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 13:24, Svts said:

Out of interest how do these machines stack up against tractor based forwarding? Are they viable on piece rate lowland estate work (predominately hardwood thins and clear fell). Currently battling a very wet autumn and a wood with very poor extraction routes. Basically earth  on top of the natural layer of limestone as Natural England are sniffy about putting any stone inside the gate. Something really light would be great but would need to cut it on piece rate to get any work. 

Any thoughts you users could share? 

I’ve not had mine on piece work. I work on an hourly or day rate, if it’s done on piece or tonnage I think it’ll be difficult to make the numbers stack up whilst delivering a good service with a satisfactory and pleasing outcome. I think the job my wee machine does is so niche, that folk accept it has to be beneficial to both parties financially and that hourly/day is the best way to achieve this. You could pay less and get the job done but leave a mess, so ultimately I guess it’s a money talks and bullshit walks scenario.

• Like 1

In case anyone was interested.....

This months edition of Forestry Journal has a nice 3 page article on my fledgling business! It was a pleasure to have the editor, John, down for a chat about the Logbullet.

Im adopting the happy moron pose in the main photo, I’ve got the look absolutely nailed after so many years of practice ?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1