Low Impact Forestry Ltd, covering North Yorkshire and the North East

IronMike

Hi Josh,

Things are going really well thanks! Client/customer base building nicely, got three local estates who use me for all the first thinning work and hoping to add more estates this year. 

Only real issues with machine have been of my own doing i.e habitual overloading leading to various failures. They all seemed to come in succession too so there was several months where it felt very frustrating. I added a fair few mods to it from day one, various guarding some etc. I’ve also had new more beefy bolsters made up and got myself a swing damper for the crane. Also added some LED light bars recently too.

it’s taken me a long time to get fully accustomed to all its quirks and traits but I’d dare say I’m pretty slick on it now. I can move 25ish ton in a day which I think is very reasonable for a small machine. The thing that gives greatest satisfaction is the low impact part of it all. I can drive past sites I’ve been on a year ago and you can’t even tell I’ve been there. Seeing tangible results from my efforts is very satisfying!

My social media side had taken off nicely too. I got that nice feature in Forestry Journal, I won a local business award, and got some other media stuff lined up for this year. I’ve met some really decent folks through Instagram and Facebook, and had paid work too.

The biggest thing I wish I had was a cab in the machine as it’s been dam cold and wet at times! Good job I’m made of stern stuff 💪🏻👍🏻😁

The business will be expanding in the forthcoming weeks too, watch this space!

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 7

Great to hear!

Has any of the breakages been "warranty" issues? if so, how have they been resolved? do you foot the labour cost yourself?

I can imagine you are pretty slick on it by now, a mate has an Alstor (that he's selling hence my interest in Logbullets now) when he first got it it was painfull to see him drive!

What size trailer do you have?

38 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Great to hear!

Has any of the breakages been "warranty" issues? if so, how have they been resolved? do you foot the labour cost yourself?

I can imagine you are pretty slick on it by now, a mate has an Alstor (that he's selling hence my interest in Logbullets now) when he first got it it was painfull to see him drive!

The manufacturer has been great, getting all the parts out to me usually very quickly. The bits that broke usually end up replaced with uprated components as I feel the machines design is evolving constantly. Me and Big J have pushed these machines to the limit and beyond briefly, we have definitely experienced our fair share of breakages!

For me that’s been part of the learning journey though, I’ve pushed it and pushed it until it broke. Now I have a clear understanding of its capabilities! 

I have managed to fix some problems myself, but the local engineering firm have had a fair bit of business from me. Mainly because they have the know how and right tools for the job. No point me faffing on for weeks on end trying to fix things myself when they can have it done in a few days and back earning again.

With regards to trailer.... when I bought the machine all I knew was it was 17ft long. So I got myself a behemoth Ifor Williams trailer! 17ft 9inch internal length, triple axle, chequer plate flooring and 6 internal tie down points. Plus led lights too and the larger wheel and tyre option. You might be able to get away with a 16ft one and have a wee bit of overhang front and back though. 

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

Great to hear!

It's worth noting as well that Pekka at Logbullet treats breakdowns as development opportunities. So instead of "well why did you overload it and break it?" it's "well that bit could be stronger, I'll make it stronger and send it out to you, FOC". This has extended past the end of the official warranty too :D

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IronMike said:

@josharb87 I could talk about my Logbullet for days mate 🤦🏼‍♂️😆 anything you want to know more about feel free to get in touch either PM on here or via contact details on my website. Happy to chat!

Thanks, Ive spoken to Big J a little too, i rent in my mate with his alstor 3 days a month on average, sometimes a Kranman bison, and have changed my approach to jobs because of these machines, now he's selling id ideally like a 2nd hand logbullet, but they're not exactly easy to come by, got a quote from Pekka, just need to make a decision!

Whats the trailer in your first picture on this thread? looks ideal

• Like 2

@Big J   oddly ( and a German company) KMW do exactly this, offer upgrades on existing kit, develop refinements WITH their current customers and new designs that bolt on the old machine. So you dont have to scrap yr old tank. Is probably why the Leopard tank is the best seller around the  globe. K

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Whats the trailer in your first picture on this thread? looks ideal

That was a 16ft Ifor I borrowed off a mate. It does fit on, but I’m not sure how the nose weight would be affected on the trailer. I towed it back from Hull to North Yorkshire with no dramas.