Low Impact Forestry Ltd, covering North Yorkshire and the North East

IronMike

On 03/01/2020 at 20:17, IronMike said:

I’ve not had mine on piece work. I work on an hourly or day rate, if it’s done on piece or tonnage I think it’ll be difficult to make the numbers stack up whilst delivering a good service with a satisfactory and pleasing outcome. I think the job my wee machine does is so niche, that folk accept it has to be beneficial to both parties financially and that hourly/day is the best way to achieve this. You could pay less and get the job done but leave a mess, so ultimately I guess it’s a money talks and bullshit walks scenario.

Thanks for an honest reply. I'll have to stick with the tried and tested I think. I can't seem to find these niche jobs that demand dayrate very often (unfortunately). 

Usually piece rate take it or leave it is the way it goes. 

10 hours ago, Svts said:

Thanks for an honest reply. I'll have to stick with the tried and tested I think. I can't seem to find these niche jobs that demand dayrate very often (unfortunately). 

Usually piece rate take it or leave it is the way it goes. 

There are some sites where larger machinery simply couldn't go. We're cutting and extracting on bog at the moment and a larger machine would just sink. I have the choice of a fully tracked komatsu 840tx or the logbullet and the komatsu is going nowhere near the stand. The damage would be horrendous. Ok it takes longer with the little machine, but it still does 4-6t an hour. 

Also, in early thinnings, a small machine on a modest extraction distance is almost as quick as manoeuvring a large machine in a tight stand is time consuming. On balance, I'd rather use the small machine as the ground impact is so low.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Big J said:

There are some sites where larger machinery simply couldn't go. We're cutting and extracting on bog at the moment and a larger machine would just sink. I have the choice of a fully tracked komatsu 840tx or the logbullet and the komatsu is going nowhere near the stand. The damage would be horrendous. Ok it takes longer with the little machine, but it still does 4-6t an hour. 

Also, in early thinnings, a small machine on a modest extraction distance is almost as quick as manoeuvring a large machine in a tight stand is time consuming. On balance, I'd rather use the small machine as the ground impact is so low.

That all makes perfect sense. The trouble is having a huge range of machinery means having to generate a huge turnover to keep it all rolling on. 

I've gone down that route in the past but don't want to do it again. Missed a fair bit of the kids growing up as was always at work.

So a middle of the road agri type setup seems to be a happy medium. No eye-watering repayments to keep up with but a living to be made. 

If I could find enough work to keep a small machine going I would deffo look into it. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...