The age old... "what's it worth"

farmerjohn

4 hours ago, Squaredy said:

I make it 160 hoppus feet and judging by the quality maybe £4.50 per hoppus foot.  That would be my limit anyway.  But extraction of a single log is always costly so I would deduct the cost of this from my offer.  

You may may well find it contains much clean timber but you may also find rot and lots of worm.

I agree with this, but £4.50-5.00 would be my price roadside on it. The spiral grain, basal decay and branches devalue what is otherwise a stem with good form. The potential for metal work is also an issue.

So what people are saying is they would be happy to pay the prices they are quoting on the full measure of this log considering the sapwood rot, butt rot and the problems from rot running into and down the stem from the rotten branches , holes etc at the top of the tree ?

Makes it look expensive to me considering the probable recovery rate from this log.

• Like 1

So what people are saying is they would be happy to pay the prices they are quoting on the full measure of this log considering the sapwood rot, butt rot and the problems from rot running into and down the stem from the rotten branches , holes etc at the top of the tree ?
Makes it look expensive to me considering the probable recovery rate from this log.

I included the words "roadside" and "generous".
And I also know how much I can sell it for.
[emoji12][emoji848][emoji106]
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, kinderscout said:

I would mill it on site and go 50 /50 with the milled timber
Every ones a winner.

I have never done this because I would be supplying the gear and labour.At best you get less than half (because its your time and gear) at worst you get a couple of knackered chains as well as losing a day and fuel.

I have done a couple of milling jobs on the day rate.The client was clear that if I began to hit metal I was leaving after the second sharpen with the cost of a new chain and half of the day rate.It makes the dreamers reconsider how much they want the planks vs it all going onto a truck and into a hole.

• Like 4

Recently I spent 5 days milling some large oak for a client.
They now want to sell the wood.
I collect, grade and sell their timber and get half what I sell it for.
They should get back about 3-4 times what they paid me to mill it.
But over 6-12 months.
Everyone's very happy.
[emoji106]

• Like 3