Datatag

Jonesie

I had it on my Honda Fireblade . There was a little  " billiedoo "  in the petrol tank that responded to a scanner and another inside the crank cases .  The rest of the body work was covered in that thing you cant see , sorta " Smart Water " stuff .  It never got nicked so I don't know how well it worked but it did save me a bit on the insurance .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

It sounds a good idea, but I doubt it's got wings.

Masses of thefts aren't investigated by the police these days, there ain't enough of them. If there are no witnesses, or CCTV you'll get a crime number and nothing more from most police forces.

19 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It sounds a good idea, but I doubt it's got wings.

Masses of thefts aren't investigated by the police these days, there ain't enough of them. If there are no witnesses, or CCTV you'll get a crime number and nothing more from most police forces.

Which is exactly why a bit of self help is required. If the identity of a machine is on a public list of stolen kit then any dealer with a machine in for repair or a potential buyer can interrogate it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Which is exactly why a bit of self help is required. If the identity of a machine is on a public list of stolen kit then any dealer with a machine in for repair or a potential buyer can interrogate it.

Yes I agree, but who is going to buy a knowingly stolen machine, wether that be a saw, or chipper and take it to a dealer for repair/servicing?, if someone's been mugged off with gear it's a different story, but I think most people who are buying cheap/stolen gear know it is just that.

there are two prices, the proper price, and the chord price.

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I think most people who are buying cheap/stolen gear know it is just that.

Yes I'm sure you are right, apart from cars and tractors I don't think I bought secondhand (except two Husky 262s from FC auction) gear but the principle is  if you devalue the stolen gear by making it risky to have it repaired then there is less reward for the thief, so stealing it is less attractive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes I'm sure you are right, apart from cars and tractors I don't think I bought secondhand (except two Husky 262s from FC auction) gear but the principle is  if you devalue the stolen gear by making it risky to have it repaired then there is less reward for the thief, so stealing it is less attractive.

Is it being devalued though?, if I was to buy a stolen jetter and use it for a few years then sell it on locally I'd get market value for it. That machine may never see a stealer again. My machine played up recently, (faulty spark plug), there is no way on this earth it would have gone to a dealer, it would have gone to a bloke who runs a garden machinery business over near Colchester, I'd dare bet he wouldn't check if it was stolen. 

It would be interesting to hear how many folk use main dealers when their kit is out of warranty.

23 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Is it being devalued though?, if I was to buy a stolen jetter and use it for a few years then sell it on locally I'd get market value for it. That machine may never see a stealer again. My machine played up recently, (faulty spark plug), there is no way on this earth it would have gone to a dealer, it would have gone to a bloke who runs a garden machinery business over near Colchester, I'd dare bet he wouldn't check if it was stolen. 

I guess you are a bit less typical as you are willing to tinker with machines, I never took a saw back to a dealer other than one warranty claim on a tube bearing on my first brushcutter (which I still have) and I guess I bought 2 to 3 dozen over the years.

But yes I think if it were common for ordinary folk, repairers , buyers, H&S auditors to check serial numbers then it would reduce the going rate for a stolen saw.

I used to inspect our workers' saws while gathering them for a toolbox talk. I was prevented from doing the same for our subbies for fear of what I might find.

Does anyone have a car audio pinched nowadays?

Now don't ask me to understand the psychology of theft, I cannot even understand what makes a wealthy, middle class woman hang her dog's shit in a plastic bag on a tree.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I guess you are a bit less typical as you are willing to tinker with machines, I never took a saw back to a dealer other than one warranty claim on a tube bearing on my first brushcutter (which I still have) and I guess I bought 2 to 3 dozen over the years.

But yes I think if it were common for ordinary folk, repairers , buyers, H&S auditors to check serial numbers then it would reduce the going rate for a stolen saw.

I used to inspect our workers' saws while gathering them for a toolbox talk. I was prevented from doing the same for our subbies for fear of what I might find.

Does anyone have a car audio pinched nowadays?

Now don't ask me to understand the psychology of theft, I cannot even understand what makes a wealthy, middle class woman hang her dog's shit in a plastic bag on a tree.

Is this not where the idea falls down?, most of us, not all, have to have a work around to keep our tools running, we have to learn or find a local, 'man that can'. You are thinking bigger companies that send things to dealers to get repairs done, they aren't the sort of people who are interested in knicked gear, imo.

17 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Is this not where the idea falls down?,

It's plain from the amount of reports of thefts here that it is a profitable business stealing and selling saws and the lack of uptake of arbsafe suggests that  most people in the trade are not interested in addressing the problem, so yes it does fall down.