Datatag

Jonesie

We used to apply it to tractors years ago. You can't remove it.

We used to put it on in about 15 different places and we would do the same with handheld machines.

I don't think it will stop many being nicked, but if found there's a very strong chance of getting back to the owner.

I haven't spoken to any insurance companies yet, but I'm wondering if you can get a reduced policy if you can prove it's been done.

It wont stop theft but it will mean there easier to get back if found, its the "if" bit that's the problem and @15 quid a saw it can soon add up to a small company running a lot of kit. I Like your thinking Justin and something does need to happen, I just don't know what the solution is!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ian C said:

It wont stop theft but it will mean there easier to get back if found, its the "if" bit that's the problem and @15 quid a saw it can soon add up to a small company running a lot of kit. I Like your thinking Justin and something does need to happen, I just don't know what the solution is!

That's the issue.

Theft will not stop until people stop buying stolen gear. I have absolutely no facts to back this up, but in my opinion, less than 5% of hand tools nicked will ever be recovered by the police. That might be a generous figure actually! 

So the only way to get the stuff recovered after its been nicked, is for some kind of miniature tracer/sim which gives you the gps location of the item. Bearing in mind that power tools have batteries or mains electric cables or motors in the case of chainsaws, it can't be difficult surely to utilise those sources of power? Then when its nicked and used, you can track where it is. Hoping that the police will find it and return it is a waste of time.

I think it's fair to say that we hate thieves and handlers.  Finding someone who doesn't know a Husky from a Stihl in possession of a dozen chainsaws proves nothing.  Showing that at least some of the saws are nicked by identifying an owner goes a long way towards a prosecution: a basic element of proving Theft or Handling Stolen Goods is proving that the goods are stolen!

So Datatag-type marking could not only reunite a victim with their item but help prosecute a thief.

I presume the £15 cost isn't per item; it's for the kit which I'd guess contains enough dots and stickers for several items at least.

So Justin that's a thumbs up from me:  I've recently Datatagged a new trailer.

Edited by nepia

4 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Is there evidence to say it actually stops saws being stolen?

the site says it’s impossible to remove without damaging the saw. What sort of damage?

My 084 and HL75 were Datatagged at a Stihl promotion, they're not stolen yet, they only have a small decal but small microdots are painted on various bits of the machines, one would have to find them all and scrape them off. Somewhere on the internal parts there is supposed to be a chip which can be scanned by the police.

To do the job properly would take some time as the dots need to be put on internal sufaces which means removing top, clutch and starter covers.

From what I see all autotune saws already have a chip with the saw details which can be read by a dealer.