Brake pad recommendations

LeeGray

As above, what are you using and happy with? Want good performance and to last a while if poss. Only done about 25,000 in the Range and it’s needing third set of rear pads soon. Put genuine on first time got 15,000, second set ebc yellow stuff may last 11,000 miles. 

Always towing to max with digger or loader on but very steady and smooth. Tyres will do 50,000 plus. Haven’t done front pads in past 25,000, probably half way down. 

First thing I’ve done a lot of towing with that’s disc brakes on the rear so maybe the above is normal? I’d be doing shoes more than 60,000 previously.

Bit short life from the pads, whats the discs like. My 110L/R has just done 60K on last set of discs and pads, towing large ifor all the time / 3.5t and more 50% of the time.

Just a thought, is your handbrake on the reardiscs and binding  on

Edited by htb
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, htb said:

Bit short life from the pads, whats the discs like. My 110L/R has just done 60K on last set of discs and pads, towing large ifor all the time / 3.5t and more 50% of the time.

Just a thought, is your handbrake on the reardiscs and binding  on

Handbrake isn’t on the pads, separate shoes which are fine.Discs are fine too. Maybe it’s just compound of pads I’ve had 

16 hours ago, Ratman said:

Do they have a compensator valve? Could be partially seized if they do, cos i wouldnt av thought you should be spanking pads at that rate!

Possibly. Good point. I’ll have to have a look at some diagrams or manuals

Possibly. Good point. I’ll have to have a look at some diagrams or manuals

I’m not fully up on land rovers but i had a similar issue on a van, it had a load compensating valve on the rear which obviously gave more effort when load was increased, seized up on its pivots, the valve itself was ok.

Pad brands, look at Mintex, Don and Ferodo, all first class products.   

Discs get hairline cracks in service,  they go past the pads as small scrapers,  so pad life on a set of used discs will be significantly lower than life when fitted with a new set of discs.

A