Expanding into utility arb

Harvey2018

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask a bit of advice regarding utility arb.

Im based in Sussex and just wondered who you could sub contract to etc in that area?  Just looking to expand the business a bit but I haven’t done a lot of line clearance but thought it would be a good avenue to go down to get another team on the road.

Obviously don’t want to tread on anyone’s toes work wise, but their seems to be a fair bit of work out there for it.

cheers

We’ve historically done loads of utility arb, the job’s been knackered in our area (Cheshire/Staffs border for both Scottish Power and WPD) by contracts being won on price by inexperienced and/or incompetent main contractors depressing the rates paid to the actual cutters to such an extent that in my view there hasn’t been any point fielding teams in this area for the last couple of years. I feel very sorry for the lads who rely on this work for their bread and butter... 

If you do jump in I’d just say that you need to be confident that whoever you work for is going to pay you (firms go bump for fun in this game). Make sure you can afford to operate on whatever payment terms they insist on, as you can end up waiting ages for your money. It’s a very fickle industry - my utmost advice would be to avoid putting all your eggs in one basket - work can dry up overnight which is ok if you have plenty of other stuff to drop onto but a bit of a disaster if that’s all you do (I’ve seen numerous companies run out of work and subsequently dump their lads with no notice). 

But it might be all pots of gold and free money in your neck of the woods - I don’t have any personal experience over there I’m afraid. 

• Like 3