Rope wrench rope wear

I have a Yale xtc and was thinking about getting a wrench to use with it as a step into SRT so interested in this. Otherwise I'll let you know how I get on with mine.
I've been loving it, loving it, loving it, loving like this. Been deadwooding mature oaks for the last 7 days. You're at the top in no time. Made a home made knee ascender/haas/ saka which I've been constantly adjusting, but think I'm pretty much there now.

Had a bit of a nasty do swinging a mate across to another tree ( also just got a rope wrench) anchor snapped out and dropped him about 20ft, his rope occasionally catching on a few bits, landed on his feet thankfully and was ok. But def a good warning about the old base anchor double force thingy.

20190429_153224.jpeg

I've been loving it, loving it, loving it, loving like this. Been deadwooding mature oaks for the last 7 days. You're at the top in no time. Made a home made knee ascender/haas/ saka which I've been constantly adjusting, but think I'm pretty much there now.

Had a bit of a nasty do swinging a mate across to another tree ( also just got a rope wrench) anchor snapped out and dropped him about 20ft, his rope occasionally catching on a few bits, landed on his feet thankfully and was ok. But def a good warning about the old base anchor double force thingy.

20190429_153224.thumb.jpeg.74d2bf03bf9824720c1aaf39691c14d3.jpeg

Shit mate ! Not jo ? If you ever fancy a rec climb I have said it before we can go over tip tie ins ... any ways it’s totally normal to have that , ropes wear ! it’s not uncommon especially after a few speedy descents to see those Fibers in the top pin of a wrench.
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Shit mate ! Not jo ? If you ever fancy a rec climb I have said it before we can go over tip tie ins ... any ways it’s totally normal to have that , ropes wear ! it’s not uncommon especially after a few speedy descents to see those Fibers in the top pin of a wrench.

Nah it wasnt jo. Lad called gav been helping out on this work near consett, we are both new to SRT and this job was the one that made us both get on and try it out. He knew his anchor wasnt great, we just didnt think about it before I was heaving him out ( essentially adding double my weight as well) to the anchor at 30° . Horrible horrible moment. Very grateful he was ok, and his anchor was completely isolated as this slowed his fall a fair bit.

We immediately did some canopy anchors after that, mostly using an alpine butterfly. But not always possible to get a retrievable one as we were often maxing our 37m ropes out. 

Be ace to go over some more bits of it with you, I'd like to have another look at the Haas also, see if I can tweak my homemade one any. Thanks for offer. 

• Like 1