Jump to content
AllTrees

Qualifying Criteria for TPO

Recommended Posts

Can anyone help please? Is there a general set of rules that an LPA / TO are following when deciding on the merit of a tree. The reason I ask is that I had given notice to fell a Silver Birch in a conservation area that has decay in the upper crown caused by the central leader breaking out at some point in the past. The tree now has 3 very large leaders about 40ft up growing from weak and rotting timber and is situated at the very front of the property and over-hanging a main road.

 

In response the LPA has said they are issuing a TPO, not because the tree is worthy preservation ( they have put in writing that consent will be given to fell) but to ensure they have the legal position to enforce the re-planting of a similar specimen. If the tree is of such a condition that it can be felled how can it be classed as having "amenity value"?

 

The client had already expressed to the LPA that they would re-plant. As it is not a condition to re-plant trees in a CA can the LPA use a TPO (illegaly?) to enforce it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like they're stretching things a bit. 

What's odd is that hey have given consent to fell. They can't consent a notification. They either don't oppose the notified works or they have to serve a TPO and run through the process, waiting for objections/representations etc and then confirming the order within six months.

 

You can, of course, just fell it as soon as six weeks elapse after the notification if no TPO is served. I think that they are playing hard and fast with the rules just to get a new tree in. Is it in a prominent location.

 

I've never got a satisfactory response from an LA when I've asked how they define amenity, it seems to be whatever the TO wants it to be at the time :D

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slack ma girdle said:

I have used it a number of times to justify trees lack of suitability for TPO order.

I used it once at appeal. it was ignored by everyone:confused1:

 

 

I'm just trying to track down when there is an obligation to replant in a CA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AllTrees said:

In response the LPA has said they are issuing a TPO, not because the tree is worthy preservation ( they have put in writing that consent will be given to fell) but to ensure they have the legal position to enforce the re-planting of a similar specimen.

Hmmm, thought this was, in the least, frowned upon as a practice. The LPAs 'best bet' would have been to encourage removal on the grounds of 'being dangerous' and then a replacement would have been an automatic requirement.

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)
Added clarifying text..
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hmmm, thought this was, in the least, frowned upon as a practice. The LPAs 'best bet' would have been to encourage removal on the grounds of 'being dangerous' and then a replacement would have been an automatic requirement.

That is the down side if the new regs (2012).  Its not dangerous now, its an immediate risk of serious harm, so again that is stretching things a bit if the risk isn't imminent.  That said, I would also take that approach and pursue via section 213 rather than the approach they have taken. 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the decision notice in response to my notification of works in a CA

 

( 1) T2 (Birch) is a large and prominent tree within the Woburn Sands Conservation Area. However, it is noted that the tree is in decline. In order to be able to enforce replacement planting following felling of the tree, a Tree Preservation Order shall be placed on the tree. There are no objections to the proposal to fell T1 (Apple)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chris at eden said:

  That said, I would also take that approach and pursue via section 213 rather than the approach they have taken. 

   

Which part Chris?  Wait for it to die and then require a replacement?  (was typing that before the next post came in with detail of the DN)

 

 

 

9 minutes ago, AllTrees said:

From the decision notice in response to my notification of works in a CA

 

( 1) T2 (Birch) is a large and prominent tree within the Woburn Sands Conservation Area. However, it is noted that the tree is in decline. In order to be able to enforce replacement planting following felling of the tree, a Tree Preservation Order shall be placed on the tree. There are no objections to the proposal to fell T1 (Apple)

So, 'shall be' is different to 'has been.'  If the 6 week point arrives and no provisional TPO has been publicised can the tree be felled under s211?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I forgot to add; the decision notice was issued 1 day before 6 week period expired. So now an application to fell will be required before the TPO is confirmed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.